Apply for honours
Qualification for the honours program requires students to have a GPA of 6.0 or greater in a relevant undergraduate degree and the support of an academic supervisor.
In addition to completing an online application for entry to the Bachelor of Science (Honours) (SZ8), programs, students will need to submit a completed Research Proposal form, outlining their intended research project signed by their chosen supervisor(s)
Step 1: Find a project and supervisor
Honours information sessions will be held in semester 2 where you can meet and talk to potential supervisors about projects they are offering. You can also contact academic staff working in areas that interest you directly and ask them if they would consider supervising you.
It is a good idea to talk to a number of prospective supervisors to assess whether their research focus aligns with your interests and whether you feel you could work well with their research group. If possible talk to other students in the group or past students who have worked with them as well.
Some questions to help you refine what you want to work on
- What aspects of your undergraduate degree have you found most interesting?
- Which courses did you enjoy the most?
- What topics or issues did you wish you could have studied in more depth?
- Which academic staff had a teaching style that you liked in undergraduate courses?
- Which academic staff are working in areas that interest you?
Step 2: Apply for honours
FedUni students can complete an online application for entry into the honours program (SZ8). You will also need to submit a completed Research Proposal form signed by your prospective supervisor.
Students wanting to enrol in Honours at FedUni, who completed their undergraduate degree elsewhere should contact the honours coordinator at , Mt Helen, Gippsland or Berwick to discuss eligibility requirements.
Application and Enrolment Timeline for Bachelor of Science Honours program
1. Application for BSc Hons 2022 submission date – 15th December 2021
- Direct online application for SZ8 program
- Submission of Research Proposal Form signed by academic supervisor
2. Outcome notification – (offer made to student) – End of December 2021
3. Acceptance of offer - student to inform Faculty and Supervisor before 19th January 2022
4. Formal enrolment in Honours courses for Semester 1 (SCHON4001, SCHON4002, SCHON4003) – 28th January 2022
Step 3: Accept your offer
If you are offered a place in the honours program you need to formally accept your offer in writing. You should also get in touch with your supervisor to discuss any additional requirements (eg ethics approvals, laboratory safety training) for your project prior to starting your research work. Semester 1 intake typically starts at the beginning of February, Semester 2 intake starts at the beginning of August.
Step 4: Enrol in honours courses
Once you have accepted your offer, you can enrol in your honours courses. For a full-time student in your first semester you should enrol in SCHON 4001, SCHON 4002 and SCHON 4003. For more information about full-time and part-time program structures, individual honours courses and assessment see the honours program structure.