Myers, Mark (A/Prof)
|Phone||+613 5327 9291|
BSc(Hons) (University of Melbourne), PhD (Australian National University)
- Molecular medicine
- Australian Diabetes Society
- International Society of Zinc Biology
- Insulin resistance
- Zinc biology
- Peptide hormones
- Cancer diagnosis
- Breath analysis
- Molecular forensics
- The Role of Zinc Transporters in Modulating Insulin Signalling
- GCMS-HS-SPME analysis of volatile metabolites produced by lung cancer cell lines
- Forensic analysis: Species origin of the leather cover of a 16th century text
Summary metrics: More than 50 publications and patents that have been cited by others more than 900 times. h-index = 18
Selected and recent publications
- Myers S. A, Nield A, Chew G. S, Myers M. A. (2013) The zinc transporter, slc39a7 (zip7) is implicated in glycaemic control in skeletal muscle cells. PLoS One. 12;8(11):e79316. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0079316.
- He C, Tsend-Ayush E, Myers M. A, Forbes B. E, Grutzner F.(2013) Changes in the ghrelin hormone pathway maybe part of an unusual gastric system in monotremes. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 191:74-82.
- Myers S. A, Nield A, Myers M. (2012) Zinc transporters, mechanisms of action and therapeutic utility: implications for type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Nutr Metab. 2012:173712.
- Paule S. G, B Nikolovski, R. E Gray, J. P Ludeman, A Freemantle, R. A Spark, J. B Kerr, F. M Ng, P. Z Zimmet, M. A Myers. (2009) GHTD-amide: A naturally occurring beta cell-derived peptide with hypoglycemic activity. Peptides 30:955-961.
- Paule S. G, B Nikolovski, J. P Ludeman, R. E Gray, L Spiccia, P. Z Zimmet, and M. A Myers. (2009). Ability of GHTD-amide and analogs to enhance insulin activity through zinc chelation and dispersal of insulin oligomers. Peptides 30:1088-1097.
- Hettiarachchi K. D, Zimmet P. Z, Danial N. N and Myers M. A. (2008) Transplacental exposure to the vacuolar-ATPase inhibitor bafilomycin disrupts survival signalling in cells and delays neonatal remodelling of the endocrine pancreas. Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology 60:295-306.
- Lamb M. M, Myers M. A, Barriga K, Zimmet P. Z, Rewers M, Norris J. M. (2008) Maternal diet during pregnancy and islet autoimmunity in offspring. Pediatr Diabetes. 9:135-41.
- Myers M and Zimmet P. (2008) Halting the accelerating epidemic of type 1 diabetes. Lancet. 371(9626):1730-1.
- Hettiarachchi K. D, Zimmet P. Z, Myers M. A. (2006 ). The effects of repeated exposure to sub-toxic doses of plecomacrolide antibiotics on the endocrine pancreas. Food Chem Toxicol. 44:1966-77.
- Hettiarachchi K. D, Zimmet P. Z and M. A Myers (2004). Transplacental exposure to bafilomycin disrupts pancreatic islet organogenesis and accelerates diabetes onset in NOD mice. Journal of Autoimmunity 22: 287-296.
- Myers M. A, Mackay I. R, Rowley M. J and P. Z Zimmet. (2001) Dietary microbial toxins and Type 1 diabetes- a new meaning for seed and soil. Diabetologia 44:1199-1200.
- Kasimiotis H, Myers M. A , Argentaro A, Mertin S, Fida S, Ferraro T, Olsson J, Rowley M. J and V. R Harley. (2000) The SRY-related protein SOX13 is a diabetes autoantigen expressed in pancreatic islets. Diabetes 49(4): 555-561.
- Myers MA, Davies J. M, Tong J. C, Whisstock J, Scealy M, Mackay I. R and M. J Rowley (2000). Conformational epitopes on the diabetes autoantigen GAD65 identified by peptide phage display and molecular modelling. Journal of Immunology 165:3830-3838.
- Myers M. A. (1998) Direct measurement of cell number in microtiter plate cultures using the fluorescent dye SYBR Green I. Journal of Immunological Methods 212: 99-103.
- Myers M. A, Rabin D. U. and M. J. Rowley. (1995) Pancreatic islet cell cytoplasmic antibody in diabetes is represented by antibodies to islet cell antigen 512 and glutamic acid decarboxylase. Diabetes 44: 1290-1295.