GHERG conducts applied research with a strong theoretical underpinning in a range of areas related to geotechnical, hydrogeological and environmental engineering.
GHERG specialises in the following research topics:
- Optimal cover design for mine rehabilitation
- Performance and sustainability of artificial soils
- Computational modelling of coupled geomechanical and hydrological processes
- Groundwater recharge and regional water balance affected by mining
- Rebounce capacity of subsided land following re-watering
- Contribution of preferential flow to water balance.
GHERG applies its research expertise to geotechnical, hydrogeological and environmental engineering projects in many areas, particularly open pit mining and mine rehabilitation.
GHERG is a fully outfitted research and testing facility.
For a full list of our equipment and to make a booking, go to our Research Facilities page.
A number of research scholarships are available to higher degree research students.
The Henry Sutton PhD Scholarship offers international candidates in the School of Science, Engineering and Information Technology a full Federation University Research Tuition Scholarship and a Stipend scholarship for a period of three years. Find out more on the Henry Sutton PhD Scholarship page.
More information about the full range of scholarships available at Federation University, including application dates, can be found on the Scholarships page.