STEM events for schools
For further information about any of the following events contact STEM@feduni.
In August each year FedUni joins the nation-wide celebration of science and technology by offering a range of public and school events to inspire and amaze.
2019 marks 50 years since a human first set foot on a part of the universe that wasn’t planet Earth. It’s also 150 years since Dimitri Mendeleev was inspired to create the Periodic Table of the Elements. Both were huge achievements in science that have gone on to define our modern world. FedUni celebrates both these milestones this year.
- Virtual Reality Moon Walk: Visit us at the Ballarat Observatory on the weekend of 17 - 18 August 2019 to take your own walk on the moon using our virtual reality Moon Walk. Developed by FedUni IT students you’ll be able to walk in Neil Armstrong’s footsteps and conduct experiments he could only dream of.
- Day of Chemistry and Physics: Come along to the Hartung and Women in Physics Lectures at the Fed Uni Day of Chemistry and Physics - see details below.
- Date: 27 August 2019
- To register contact Stephanie Davison
Spend three fascinating days exploring your passion for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) under the expert guidance of FedUni scientists and students at either our Ballarat or Gippsland campuses.
Program details change each year, but you’ll enjoy a diverse range of hands-on activities from exercise and sport science, forensic chemistry, biomedical science, geospatial science, botany, food science, robotics, engineering and computer graphics. A field trip will get you thinking about exciting career opportunities. Get ready to make new friends and new discoveries.
- Date: 23 – 25 September 2019
- Register through The Science Experience website.
An annual electronic games expo for secondary students highlighting potential career paths and study options. Industry and FedUni speakers and gaming activities including virtual reality and a suite of retro and the latest PC games will inspire students to join the growing Australian game developers industry.
- Date: Friday 10 May 2019. Stay tuned for details of GiG2020
Hartung Youth Lecture
Held in conjunction with Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI), this annual lecture is presented to school students by a leading chemical researcher. In 2019 the Hartung talk will be delivered as part of the FedUni Day of Chemistry and Physics. Members of the public are welcome.
Women in Physics Lecture
Celebrating the contribution of women to advances in physics, this annual lecture is presented by The Australian Institute of Physics, and Vicphysics Teachers’ Network. In 2019 the WiP talk will be delivered as part of the FedUni Day of Chemistry and Physics. Members of the public are welcome.
National Youth Science Forum Orientation
Our annual orientation day for students attending the National Youth Science Forum. (Rotary District 9780)
Alexander Rubinov Memorial Lecture
In honour and memory of Professor Alex Rubinov, the founding Director of FedUni’s Centre for Informatics and Applied Optimisation (CIAO), this annual event brings some of the nation’s finest Mathematicians and communicators to Ballarat to deliver a public talk.
- Date: 14 November 2019
- For further details contact Stephanie Davison