Dr Joanne Porter
Phone: (03) 5122 6440(03) 5122 6440
Position: Senior Lecturer
- Doctor Of Philosophy (PhD) Monash University, 2014
- Graduate Diploma In Health Services Management Charles Sturt University, 2010
- Graduate Cert In Higher Education Monash University, 2007
- Master Of Nursing Monash University, 2002
- Grad Diploma Of Nursing (Critical care) Monash University, 1997
- Bachelor Of Nursing Monash University, 1993
- Honours, Masters and PhD supervision
- Appreciating Research and Scholarship
- Acute Care Nursing Practice
- Australian Nursing Board Registration – Registered Nurse (Div1)
- Singapore Nursing Board Registration
- CENA – College of Emergency Nursing Australasian
- RCNA – Royal College of Nursing
- ANF – Australian Nursing Federation
- ARNM - Australian Rural Nurses and Midwifes
- Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International – Number 1242260
Grants and awards
- 2015 – Porter, J. Chung, C. Raymond, A. Miller, N. Giannis, A. Interaction with family of acutely unwell patients using the ER-DRIP approach: The development of an online simulation education program. - $7692 CLIPP Mini Grant Federation University.
- 2015 - Klein. B, Foale. C, Lauder. S, McLaren. S, Charchar. F, Meyer. D, Porter. J, Clinnick. L, Denham. J, Mitchell. J, Gill. P, Eime. R, Mesagno. C, Temple. E. Improving Wellness: A randomised controlled trial comparing the Mindfulness eHealth and Physical Activity eHealth programs – $5000 Faculty Research Grant.
- 2014 – Cooper, S. Porter, J. Hopmans, R. Cant, R. Bogossian, F. (2014). Awarded $18,000 for a Learning and Teaching research grant (Monash University) titled: "Managing serious illness – advanced educational software for health professionals"
- 2014 – Porter, J. Cooper, S. Cant, R (Research Fellow), Roberts, K. Wilson, I. Benton, G. (2014). Monash University Berwick Campus grant of $15,000 "The Team Emergency Assessment Measure: Validity, Reliability and Feasibility testing in clinical resuscitation teams: A collaborative project between Monash University, Central Gippsland Health Service and Northeast Health"
- 2014 – Cooper, S. NestaI, D. Porter, J. Ireland, S. Connell, C. Symmonds, M. Awarded $15,000 for your project titled "The Team Emergency Assessment Measure: Validity, Reliability and Feasibility testing in clinical resuscitation teams: A translational collaboration with Monash University, Monash & Alfred Health". Faculty Strategic Grant Scheme 2014 – Strategic Project Grant – SPG-S 012
- 2011 – Cooper, S, Porter, J. Cant, R. McKenna, L. Kinsman, L. Endacot, R. Fox-Young, S. Scholes, J. Whitely, P. De Veries, B. ID11-1914. Managing patient deterioration: Enhancing student nurses' competence through on line simulation and feedback techniques (the FIRST2ACT program) ALTC $211,000
- 2008 – Cooper, S., Nestrel, D., Sellick. K., Somers. G., Kinsman. L., Porter. J., Monash University Gippsland Small Grant Research Support Scheme. Resuscitation Team Work: Assessment measures and training scheme development. $19,893
- Porter, J,.Monash University Bursary Grant. Developing an undergraduate nursing clinical evaluation form. $2,500
- 2010 – Birks, M. Mills, J, Porter, J & Coyle, M. Australian and Malaysian Government Grant: to conduct a series of research seminars in Malaysia and Borneo. $21,000
- 2009 - Cooper, S., Birks, M. & Porter, J. Department of Human Services. Program evaluation of the Certificate of Advanced Rural and Remote Primary Health Care. $14,985
- 2009 – Cooper, S, Porter, J. Birks, M. & Kinsman, L. Department of Human Services. Primary education and research consultancy for development of advanced rural and remote health care programme. $12,253
- 2007 – Birks, M, Mills, J. Francis, K. Chapman, Y & Porter, J. Australian and Malaysian Government Grant. Introduction of research concepts a series of research seminars and workshops in Malaysia and Borneo. $17,500
- Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) Applicant ID: 232192 – APA stipend of $23,728 per annum (2012 Full time rate) Commenced Feb 2012 for the duration of 18 months completion date 6th October 2013.
- Golden Apple Teaching Award – Monash University Gippsland Campus. 2013 NUR2002 Nursing unit Pharmacology content.
- Golden Apple Teaching Award – Monash University Gippsland Campus. 2012 NUR2002 Nursing unit Pharmacology content.
- Staff excellence award for community engagement (2008). Monash University Gippsland Campus. ($500 dollar gift voucher)
- Outstanding Unit Evaluation for Introduction to High Dependency
- Nursing, 3rd year Undergraduate unit. (NUR3106) Monash University (2005) Professor Stephen Parker Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor & Senior Vice-President
- Acute care practice
- Emergency Nursing
- Family Presence During Resuscitation
- MET call / Code Blue activations
Current student projects
- PhD Thesis: Social Inclusion: Supporting People with Mental Illnesses in Latrobe Valley Community Mental Health Service area.
- Honours Thesis: Family presence during resuscitation (and invasive procedures) in the Emergency Department
- Honours Thesis: Paediatric MET calls: A single site quantitative analysis of rural health facility in Victoria, Australia.
- PhD Title: The history of scheduled medicines (rural and isolated practice)nurses in Australia.
- Thesis Title: A qualitative study exploring emergency nurses experience of teamwork within the emergency department.
- Thesis Title: A new educating concept for emergency nurses to improve patient education in the Emergency Department. Supervisors: Joanne Porter, Alison Beauchamp, School of Nursing and Midwifery Gippsland
- Thesis Title: An evaluation of the effect of a mental health clinical placement on the mental health attitudes of student nurses. Supervisors: Joanne Porter, Ken Sellick, School of Nursing and Midwifery Gippsland
- Thesis Title: Home Visits: Identification of service-gap delivery and provision of support following stroke. Supervisors: Simon Cooper, Joanne Porter, School of Nursing and Midwifery Gippsland
Mills, Jane, Francis, Karen, Birks, Melanie, Coyle, Meaghan, Porter, Joanne, and Missen, Karen (2011) Nursing in remote or isolated areas of Queensland: role, resources and readiness for practice. In: Advances in Medicine and Biology. Advances in Medicine and Biology, 26 . Nova Science Publishers, New York, USA, pp. 265-275. ISBN978-1-61324-065-6 11473_Mills_et_al_2011.pdf
Porter, J (2011).Survivor, page 56 In: Blakley G, Cooper, S.Skirton H Allum P Nelmes P. (Eds) (2011) Games Games Games: Educational games for Health Professionals. DVD Book. University of Plymouth Press ISBN9781841022741.
Coombs N.M, Porter J.E and Beauchamp A (2016). ED-HOME: Improving educator confidence and patient education in the Emergency Department. Australasian Emergency Nursing Journal, AENJ-D-15-00038R1
Cooper, S. J. Cant, R. Connell, C. Sims, L. Porter, J. Symmons, M. Nestel, D. Liaw, S.(2016) Measuring teamwork performance: Validity testing of the Team Emergency Assessment Measure (TEAM) with clinical resuscitation teams. Resuscitation
Beauchamp, A. Cooper, S. Porter,J. (2015) Identification and management of the acutely deteriorating hospital patient: Essential actions (2nd Edition-2015) ISBN 978-ISBN 978-1-876851-84-2 (Paperback) ISBN978-1-876851-85-9 (Online)
Porter, J. Cooper, S. & Taylor, B. (2015). Family presence during resuscitation(FPDR): A survey of emergency personnel in Victoria, Australia. Australasian Emergency Nursing Journal – AENJ doi.org/10.1016/j.aenj.2014.12.003.
T.McConnell-Henry, Cooper, S. Endacott, R. Porter, J. Missen, K. Sparks, L. (2015) Designing a medical records review tool: An instructional guide. Contemporary Nurse. DOI:10.1080/10376178.2015.1010260.
Porter, J. Cooper, S. J. Taylor, B.(2014). Mixed Methods: Ideal for Research in the Emergency Department. (Conference Proceedings –Sigma Theta Tau International, 25th International Nursing Research Congress, Hong Kong)
Chadwick,L. Porter, J. (2014). An evaluation of the effect of a mental health clinical placement on the mental health attitudes of student nurses. Journal of Nursing and Health. Vol 2, No (3).
Endacott, R. Bogossian. F, Cooper, S. Young, S. Forbes, H. King, V. & Porter,J. (2014) Leadership & teamwork in medical emergencies: performance of nursing students and
Registered Nurses in simulated patient scenarios. Journal of Clinical Nursing. DOI:10.1111/jocn.12611
Cooper, S. J, Porter, J. Peach, L. (2013). Measuring situation awareness in Emergency settings: a systematic review of tools and outcomes. Open Access Emergency Medicine (Accepted Oct 2013)
Bogossian, F. Cooper, S. J. Cant,R. Beauchamp, A. Porter, J. Kain, V. Bucknall, R. Phillips, N. The First 2 Act Research Team (2013) Undergraduate nursing students' performance in recognising and responding to sudden patient deterioration in high fidelity simulated environments: an Australian multi-centre study. Nurse Education Today(In Press)
Porter, J. Cooper, S. & Taylor, B. (2013). Emergency Resuscitation team roles: What constitutes a team and who's looking after the family? Journal of Nursing Education and Practice
Tolson L, Hemingway S, Porter J, (2013) Clinical placement in an acute mental health unit: reflections of a student trip to Australia. Mental Health Nursing. vol. 33 (4):pp.14-16
Porter, J. Cooper, S, & Sellick, K., (2013) Family presence during resuscitation (FPDR): Perceived benefits, barriers and enablers to implementation and practice. International Emergency Nursing Journal
Porter, J. Morphet, J. Missen, K. & Raymond, A (2013).Preparation for high acuity clinical placement: Confidence levels of final year nursing students. Advances in Medical Education and Practice
Cooper S, Beauchamp A, Bogossian F, Bucknall T, Cant R, DeVries B, Endacott R, Forbes H, Hill R, Kinsman L, Kane V, McKenna L, Porter J, Phillips N,Young S. Managing patient deterioration: A protocol for enhancing student nurses' competence through web-based simulation and feedback techniques. BMC Nursing 2012
Missen, K, Sparkes, L, Porter, J, Cooper, S. & McConnell-Henry, T.(2012).Developing team based Acute Care scenarios: A rural hospital experience. International Emergency nursing Journal
Kinsman, L. Buykx, P. Cant, R.P.Champion, R. Cooper, S.J.R. Endacott, R. McConnell-Henry, T. Missen, K. Porter, J. Scholes, J. (2012).The FIRST2ACT simulation program improves nursing practice in a rural Australian hospital. Australian Journal of Rural Health 20(5) 270-274
Porter, J. Cooper, S. & Sellick, K. (2012). Attitudes,Implementation and practice of family presence during resuscitation (FPDR) in the emergency department: A review of the quantitative literature. International Emergency Nursing Journal.pp. 26-34
Cooper, S. Cant, R. Porter, J. Missen, K. Sparkes, L.McConnell-Henry, T. Endacott, R. (2012). Managing patient deterioration:Assessing teamwork and individual performance. Emergency Medicine Journal. 2013;30: pp. 377–381
Cooper S. Cant R. Porter J. Bogossian F. McKenna L. Brady S. Fox-Young S. (2012). Simulated based learning in midwifery education: a systematic review. Women and Birth. 25;64-74
Birks, M., Coyle, M., Porter, J.,& Mills, J. (2011). Perceptions of Hand Hygiene amongst health care workers in Sibu, East Malaysia. International Journal of Infection control.
Endacott, R. Scholes, J. Cooper,S. McConnell-Henry, T. Porter, J. Missen, K. Kinsman, L. Champion, R. (2011) Identifying patient deterioration:using simulation and reflective review to improve clinical skills in a rural hospital. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2011
Cant R, Birks M, Porter J, Jacob E, Cooper S (2011). Developing advanced rural nursing practice: "a whole new scope of responsibility". Collegian 18(4): 177-182
Cooper S., McConnell-Henry T.,Cant R., Porter J., Missen K.,Kinsman L., Endacott R., Scholes J. (2011) Managing deteriorating patients:Registered nurses' performance in a simulated setting. The Open Nursing Journal, 2011, 5: 120-126
Birks, M., Coyle, M., Porter, J., & Mills, J. (2011).Factors that make the health care professions an attractive career option in East Malaysia. Singapore Nursing Journal. Vol 38 No. 1
Porter, J, Al-Motlaq, M. Hutchinson, C. Sellick, K. Burns, V.& James, A. (2011). Development of an undergraduate Nursing clinical evaluation form (CEF). Nurse Education Today. 31 (2011), pp. e58-e62
Cooper, S. Porter, J. & Endacott, R. (2010). Mixed methods research: a design for emergency care research? Emergency Medicine Journal. 28:682-685
Cooper, S. Cant, R, Porter, J, Summers, G. Sellick, K.Kinsman, L & Nestell, D (2009).Rating medical emergency teamwork performance: development of the Team Emergency Assessment Measure (TEAM). Resuscitation. 81(4), 446-452
Birks, M. Francis, K. Chapman, Y.Mills, J. & Porter, J (2009). Supporting the evolution of a research culture among nurses in Malaysia. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing. 27 (1), 89-93
Buykx, P., Missen, K., Cooper,S., Porter, J. McConnell-Henry, T.,Cant, R. Kinsman, L., Endacott, R. & Scholes, J. (in press) (2012).Emergency management training boosts nurse confidence. Australian Nursing Journal.
Porter, J & Cooper, S. (2009). The Practice of Nursing research. Appraisal, Synthesis and Generation of Evidence. International Emergency Nursing. N. Burns & SK Grove. Saunders, 6th Ed. Elsevier. St Louis
Porter,J. (2009).Technology bridges distance. Australian Nursing Journal, 17 (6), 49
Porter, J. (2009) Reviving interest in a hot topic. Where is the best place for family to be during resuscitation of a loved one? Nursing Review
Published research reports
Cooper, S. Bogossain, F. Porter, J.Cant, R. (2013). Managing patient deterioration: Enhancing Nursing students 'Competence through web-based simulation and feedback techniques. Office for Teaching and Learning. ISBN – 978-1-74361-581-2[PDF]