Dr. Louisa Lam
Phone: (03) 51226036
Room: Berwick 903-1121
Position: Deputy Dean
- Graduate Certificate in Health Professional Education, Monash University 2016
- Doctor of Philosophy, Monash University 2014
- Master of Public Health, Monash University 2005
- Post-graduate Diploma in Advanced Clinical Nursing (Coronary Care), Melbourne University, 1999
- Bachelor in Health Science – Nursing (Post registration), Victoria University 1995
- Diploma in General Nursing, Registered Nurse – Certificate of Registration (General), Nursing Council of Hong Kong 1993
- Acute care
- Public Health
- Health Promotion
- Research methods
- Speaker for the Heart Foundation Speakers’ Program
- Member of the working group in Acute Cardiovascular Care Association, European Society of Cardiology
- Member of Heart Failure Association, European Society of Cardiology
- Affiliate member of Cardiac Society of Australia & New Zealand
Grants and awards
- Hills D and Lam, L. Workplace aggression experiences in nursing and midwifery: Prevalence, prevention, responses and impact. Nurses Board of Victoria Legacy Limited (NBVLL) $40,828
- Bailey M, Lam, L, Nichol A and Iredell J. Bacteraemic load and survival in septic shock. National Health & Medical Research Council (NHMRC). $50,500
- The Alfred Centre and Monash University Research Week: Whole Time Medical Specialists Private Practice Scheme Prize
- Diagnosis and management in cardiovascular diseases
- Warning signs for heart attack in female population
- Burn out and job satisfaction in Health Professionals
- Work place aggression experience in Health Professionals
- Clinical trials in emergency and intensive care
- Health and wellbeing in migrant population
- Healthy eating and maintaining healthy body weight in the general population
Current PhD student
- An investigation of shared decision-making regarding people with Schizophrenia in China
- Exploring adherence rates of antiplatelet medications among cardiac patients following coronary stenting in Saudi Arabia
Other ongoing research projects
- The prevalence and risk factors of postpartum depression among Chinese immigrant women in Australia
- The effect of music therapy on pain control in patient post-cardiac surgery – a systematic review
- The relationship among resilience, job stress and burnout in nurses and midwives.
- The efficacy of different mode of analgesia in postoperative pain management and early mobilization in post-operative cardiac surgical patients - a systemic review
- Compassion fatigue in emergency department nurses..
- Newly qualified nurses’ experiences of workplace incivility in Australian hospital settings.
Peer review journal papers
- Hills, D., Hills, S., & Lam, L. Workplace aggression experiences and responses of Victorian nurses, midwives and care personnel. Collegian. (Accepted on 11th September 2018)
- Guo, Y. F., Plummer, V., Lam, L.. Wang, Y., Cross, W., & Zhang, J. P. The effects of resilience and turnover intention on nurses' burnout: findings from a comparative cross-sectional study. J Clin Nurs, 2018.1-10. doi:10.1111/jocn.14637
- Mammen, B., Hills, D. J., & Lam, L. Newly qualified graduate nurses' experiences of workplace incivility in Australian hospital settings. Collegian. 2018. doi:10.1016/j.colegn.2018.08.003
- Nachiyunde B and Lam L, The efficacy of different mode of analgesia in postoperative pain management and early mobilization in post-operative cardiac surgical patients - A systemic review. Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia. Accepted on 16th February 2018
- Guo YF, Luo YH, Lam L, Cross W, Plummer V and Zhang J. Burnout and its association with resilience in nurses: A cross sectional study. J Clin Nurs, 2018. 27(1-2):441-449. DOI: 10.1111/jocn.13952
- Guo YF, Cross, W, Plummer V, Lam L, Luo YH and Zhang JP. Exploring resilience in Chinese nurses: A cross-sectional study J Nurs Manag, 2017. 25(3):223-230. DOI:10.1111/jonm.12457
- Guo YF, Lam L, Luo YH, Cross W, Plummer V, Yin YZ, Li H and Zhang JP. Female nurses’ burnout symptoms: No Association with the Hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) axis. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2017. 77:47-50. DOI: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2016.11.020
- Guo Y, Lam L, Luo Y, Plummer V, Cross W, Li H and Zhang J. Reply to Letter to the Editor by Dr. Bianchi et al. regarding our manuscript (Guo, Y., Lam, L., Luo, Y., Plummer, V., Cross, W., Li, H., Yin, Y and Zhang, J., 2017. Female nurses' burnout symptoms: no association with the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) axis. Psychoneuroendocrinology 77:47-50. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 78:255-256. DOI:10.1016/j.psyneuen.2017.02.008
- Guo Y, Zhang F, Plummer V, Lam L, Cross W and Zhang J. Positive psychotherapy for depression and self-efficacy in undergraduate nursing students: A randomized controlled trial. Int J Ment Health Nurs, 2017. 26(4):375-383. DOI:10.1111/inm.12255
- Lam L. Response to journal article. Malhotra A, Redberg RF and Meier P. Saturated fat does not clog the arteries: coronary heart disease is a chronic inflammatory condition, the risk of which can be effectively reduced from healthy lifestyle interventions. Br J Sports Med, 2017. 51(15):1111-1112. http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/15/1111.responses
- Lam L and East C. Evaluation of a novel opt-out consent process involving pregnant women. ANMJ, 2015. 22(9):43.
- Ronaldson KJ, Lam LL, Rodrigo S and Tonkin AM, A meta-analysis of haemorrhage with ticlopidine and clopidogrel following coronary artery stent placement. European Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine, 2012. 2(2):98-104. DOI: 10.5083/ejcm.20424884.80
- Lam LL, Cameron PA, Schneider HG, Abramson MJ, Müller C and Krum H. Meta-analysis: Effect of B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing on Clinical Outcomes in Patients with Acute Dyspnea in the Emergency Setting. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2010. 153(11):728-35. Doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-153-11-201012070-00006
- Lokuge A*, Lam L*, Cameron P, Krum H, de Villiers S, Bystrzycki A, Eccleston D, Federman J, Naughton, M and Schneider HG. B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing and the Accuracy of Heart Failure Diagnosis in the Emergency Department. Circ Heart Fail. 2010 January 1, 2010. 3(1):104-10. DOI: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.109.869438 *Joint first author
- Lam LL, Schneider HG, Andrianopoulos N, Krum H, Abramson MJ, Mueller C and Cameron PA. The Effects of BNP Testing at ED for Acute SOB Patients on Clinical Outcomes (Meta-analysis). Heart, Lung and Circulation, 2009. 18(Supplement 3):S190. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2009.05.432
- Schneider H-G, Lam L and Cameron P. Does B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing Affect Outcome and Management of Patients with Acute Dyspnea? Ann Intern Med, 2009. 151(4):289-90. DOI: 10.7326/0003-4819-151-4-200908180-00022
- Schneider H-G, Lam L, Lokuge A, Krum H, Naughton MT, De Villiers Smit P, Bystrzycki A, Eccleston D, Federman J, Flannery G and Cameron P. B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing, Clinical Outcomes, and Health Services Use in Emergency Department Patients With Dyspnea: A Randomized Trial. Ann Intern Med, 2009. 150(6):365-71. DOI: 10.7326/0003-4819-150-6-200903170-00004
- Smit DV, Lokuge A, Lam L, Bystrzycki A, Cameron PA, Eccleston D, Federman J, Krum, H, Naughton, M and Schneider HG. 32: B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing in Patients With Shortness of Breath in the Emergency Department: A Preliminary Analysis of the Accuracy of Heart Failure Diagnosis. Ann Emerg Med, 2008. 51(4):481.
Refereed abstracts and papers presented
- Chen, J., Cross, W., Plummer, V., & Lam, L. The Prevalence and Risk Factors of Postpartum Depression among Chinese Immigrant Women in Australia. 29th International Nursing Research Congress, 19-23 July 2018 https://stti.confex.com/stti/congrs18/webprogram/Paper92032.html
- Hills D, Lam L. Workplace aggression experiences of Victorian nurses and midwives. Australian Nurses and Midwives Conference, Melbourne 21-22 September 2017
- O’Callaghan E, Lam L, Cant R and Moss C. Compassion Fatigue in Emergency Nurses. Oral presentation by Master student Erin O’Callaghan at the 13th International Conference for Emergency Nurses, Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, 07-09 October 2015
- Lau R, McKenna L, Willetts G, Lam L and Buttigieg H. Nursing student’s Anxiety in Clinical Placement. Presented at the Sixth International Clinical Skills Conference, Prato, Tuscany. 17-20 May 2015
- Lam L, Cameron PA, Driscoll A and Krum H, Nesiritide in Heart Failure: Post ASCEND-HF and ROSE-AHF Meta-analysis and systematic review European Heart Journal 2014. 35 (Suppl): 1063-1063. European Society of Cardiology Congress 2014, at the Fira Gran Via in Barcelona, Spain from 30 August to 3 September 2014
- Lam L, Cameron P and Krum H. Nesiritide – Post ASCEND-HF Meta-analysis (Post presentation at the Asia Pacific Society of Cardiology Conference (APSC 2013) Pattaya, Thailand, 22-24 February, 2013.
- Lam L, Cameron P, Schneider HG, Abramson MJ, Mueller C and Krum H. B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing in Patients with Shortness of Breath in The Emergency Department to Improve Patient Outcome (Moderated oral poster presentation at the 17th Asia Pacific Cardiology Congress, Kyoto, Japan 20-23 May 2009.
- Lam L, Lokage A, Cameron P, Henry K, Smit DV, Bystrzycki A, Matthew NT, Federman J, Flannery G, Eccleston D and Schneider HG. B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Testing and The Accuracy of Heart Failure Diagnosis in the Emergency Department (Moderated oral poster presentation at the 17th Asia Pacific Cardiology Congress, Kyoto, Japan. 20-23 May 2009
- Lam L, Schneider HG, Andrianopoulos N, Krum H, Abramson MJ, Mueller C and Cameron P. The effects of BNP testing at ED for Acute SOB patients on clinical outcomes (Meta-analysis). Poster presentation at the 57th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand 2009, Sydney, Australia. 14-16 May 2009
- Lam L, Cameron P, Schneider HG, Abramson MJ, Mueller C and Krum H. Effects on Clinical Outcomes of B-Types Natriuretic Peptide Testing for Acute Decompensated Heart Failure Patients in Clinical Setting, Poster presentation at the European Society of Cardiology Congress 2009, Barcelona, Spain. 29 August – 2 September 2009.
- Lam L, Cameron P, Krum H, Bystrzycki A, Lokuge A, Sutherland A, Smit de V, Federman J, Eccleston D and Schneider H. A randomised trial of BNP testing in patients with shortness of breath in the Emergency Department to improve patient outcome (Final results). Poster displayed at Monash Research Month High Degree Research Poster Exhibition 2008.
- Lam L, Cameron P, Krum H, Bystrzycki A, Lokuge A, Sutherland A, Smit de V, Federman J, Eccleston D and Schneider H. B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) testing in patients with shortness of breath in the Emergency Department to improve patient outcome (Interim report). Poster displayed at the Alfred week 2006