Dr Linda Jones
Phone: 03 53276847
Room: Building 903, Rm1123, Berwick Campus
Position: Head of Discipline, Nursing.
Linda Jones is currently Senior Lecturer and Head of Discipline Nursing at Federation University Australia. Her responsibilities include PhD supervision, teaching, administration and leadership in the School of Nursing, Midwifery and Healthcare.
RN, Diploma of Applied Science (Nursing) Cumberland College of Health Sciences, 1977
RM, The Bankstown Hospital, 1980
Graduate Diploma in Education (Nursing) Sydney College of Advanced Education. 1984
Bachelor of Applied Science (Nursing) Cumberland College of Health Sciences, 1986
Master of Nursing Administration The University of New South Wales, 1990
PhD 2005, University of Technology, Sydney.
Credentials granted by professional bodies:
Fellow, Australian College of Midwives (FACM)
Fellow, Australian College of Nursing (FACN)
Context of nursing
Ethics and Law
Consultancy teaching positions through hospitals and ACM, including:
- Consultative work for Cumberland College of Health Sciences and Hornsby Hospital, in the area of fetal heart rate monitoring.
- Consultative work for Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children and Prince of Wales Children’s Hospital in the area of perinatal medicine/nursing in the paediatric courses.
- Consultant to community based model of care, Liverpool Hospital Maternity Unit (1996)
- Invited to participate in study days at Monash University Gippsland Campus
- Consultant for St John of God Berwick on preceptor education (2006).
- Consultant for La Trobe Hospital in the area of antenatal care (2006).
- External marker for Childbirth Education Association program (1995-2000).
- Coordinated and taught a midwifery update for the NSW Midwives Association for Wagga Wagga (1997, 1999), Dubbo (1999, 2000, 2001, 2002) and Orange (2000, 2002).
- Coordinated and taught midwifery refresher program for the NSW Midwives Association (1997, 1999).
- Assessor for application for a Canada Council Killam Research Fellowship, The Canada Council for the Arts, September 2001.
- Assessor for research grant applications for Queensland Nursing Council (2004- ).
- Member of interview panel as representative from NSW Midwives Association for Clinical Midwifery Consultant for Northern Rivers Area Health Service at Lismore (2002).
- Consultant work for Prohealth involving presentations and follow up sessions (2007).
- Consultant work for Hypnobirthing helping design an evaluation survey and research into the effectiveness (2006)
- Consultant work for Robyn Thompson, independent midwife and lactation consultant, in presenting her research finding on breastfeeding (2006- )
- Consultant work for Judith Kotoszki who is designing a research project to examine the sucking mechanism of neonates when bottle feeding using different teats (2006- )
- Consulted as an expert witness for hospital midwives reasonable practice (2008).
Expertise and research interests
- All aspects of midwifery
- Midwifery education
- Continuity of carer midwifery models
- Midwifery care
- Care of childbearing women post serious illness
- Organisational change
- Action research
- Soft systems methodology
- Curriculum development
- Clinical teaching
Current PhD candidates
- PhD candidates:
- Best practices in clinical education for chiropractic students
- Feasibility of a pre-conceptual health lift style program
- Research utilisation by nurses in Saudi
- Second supervisor: Evaluation of self management of Type II diabetes program in Saudi
- Exploring woman’s needs and aspirations during childbirth in Timor Leste
Completed student projects
- 2006. Graduate nurses perceptions and experiences of establishing and developing trust in the nurse-patient relationship;
Master of Midwifery minor thesis
- An exploration of the impact of obesity in pregnancy as described by women who were obese prior to falling pregnant 2009;
- Understanding the values and beliefs of rural Swazi women regarding their birth practices in the Northern Hhohho region of Swaziland;
- Thinking Aboriginal maternity care: the interface of cultures in a rural setting 2012;
- Saudi students experience of studying in Australia 2013;
Master by research
- Women’s experience of traumatic birth 2017
- Mum’s the word: exploring early motherhood 2012;
- Examining family members and nurses attitudes and beliefs towards family presence in Saudi emergency departments (second supervisor) 2013;
- Examining barriers and facilitators to effective nurse patient communication within a Saudi Arabic cultural context (second supervisor) 2014;
- The perceived impact of the changes to National Registration and service provision on the Victorian Maternal and Child Health Nurses 2014;
- Examining knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs regarding pain management in oncology nurses in Saudi Arabian hospitals 2014;
- Psychophysiological and metabolic changes with different yoga practice 2014;
- Resilience of Saudi Families with Chronically ill children 2015;
- Nurses attitudes knowledge and beliefs towards individuals who deliberately self-injure 2015;
- Understanding pregnant teenagers' antenatal care needs in Tasmania: A socio-ecological determinants of health perspective 2016;
- Exploring influences impacting on Taiwanese women’s decision to have children: Implications for nurses and midwives 2016;
- 2011/2 Co investigator with E Holroyd. Endeavour Australian Government. Continuity of midwifery care project exchange;
- 2011 Co investigator with H Pisani, A Chester $15,000 Scheme into Learning and Teaching Research. Social media in professional practice: development of a professional digital identities resource for health sciences students;
- 2010 Co investigator with E Holroyd. $16,520. Australia-Thailand Institute Grants Program. Promoting continuity of midwifery care;
- 2009 Chief investigator with P. Glover $15,000. Disciplines of Nursing and Midwifery Research Initiative Fund, RMIT. Follow through;
- 2009 Co investigator with A Patrick and M McIntyre $15,000 Maternity Services Program – Maternity Workforce Grant. Development of a common tertiary midwifery assessment tool for Victoria;
- 2009 Chief Investigator with K Nankervis and P Ramcharan. $20,000.Mona Menzies Post Doctoral Nursing Research Grant 2008. Nurses Board of Victoria. Midwives attitudes toward sexuality and parenting by people with disability;
- 2007 Chief Investigator with K Nankervis. $1,928. Division of Nursing and Midwifery Research Initiative Fund, RMIT. Midwives attitudes toward sexuality and parenting by people with disabilities;
- 2007 Chief Investigator with J James. $1,866. Division of Nursing and Midwifery Research Initiative Fund, RMIT. Current modalities in clinical education: a critique;
- 2007 Co Investigator with W Pollock, L Rose and D Akers. $5,000 Australian College of Critical Care Nurses. Postnatal adaptation following ICU admission;
- 2007 Chief Investigator with J Kotowski. $1,500 Jackel Research Grant. Observational pilot study of bottle feeding with Tomme Tippee closer to nature teat;
Linda Jones has been involved in numerous industry, profession and related community organisations.
- External reviewer for Professional Development Program for midwives. Toowoomba Base Hospital 1993).
- External reviewer for Bachelor of Midwifery program, Wellington Polytechnic, New Zealand (1994).
- Member of accreditation committee, Advanced Midwifery Graduate Certificate, NSW College of Nursing (1995).
- Member of external advisory committee, Graduate Diploma in Nursing (Midwifery), Avondale College (1995-).
- Member of accreditation committee, Graduate Diploma in Childbirth Education, Vocational Training Accreditation Board (1996).
- Member of course review committee, NSW Nurses Registration Board for Graduate Diploma in Midwifery, University of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury (1995-6).
- Member of external advisory committee, Graduate Diploma in Midwifery, and Master of Midwifery, University of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury (1997-).
- Member of external advisory committee, Master of Science (Midwifery), University of Wollongong (1997-2003).
- Member of course review committee, NSW Nurses Registration Board for Graduate Diploma in Midwifery, University of Western Sydney, Milperra (1997, 2001).
- Member of course review committee, NSW Nurses Registration Board for Graduate Diploma in Midwifery, University of Newcastle (1997, 2001, 2002).
- Member of Nurses Registration Board of NSW Working Party on Guidelines for Midwifery Education Programs.
- Member of course review committee, NSW Nurses Registration Board for Graduate Diploma in Midwifery, University of Sydney (2001).
- Member of Nurses Registration Board of NSW Working Party on use of ACMI Competencies for Midwifery Education Programs (1998-).
- Member of external advisory committee, Master of Midwifery incorporating the Graduate Diploma in Midwifery, Deakin University (2000).
- Member of external advisory committee, Bachelor in Midwifery, Masters of Midwifery ACU (2006- ).
- Member of course accreditation committee, Nurses Board of Tasmania for Graduate Diploma of Midwifery, University of Tasmania (2007- ).
- Course reviewer for the Nurses Board of Victoria (2007- ).
- Supervisor for WHO Fellowship study tours, two from Malaysia (Aug to Nov) and two from Cambodia (Sept to Dec). This involved organising the programs, coordinating appointments, accompanying and introducing the participants and explaining midwifery and nursing in NSW (1995).
- Member of Australian College of Midwives Incorporated, NSW Branch Executive (1995-2003). This has involved making comments on behalf of the Association on various documents. I am also a member of the following sub committees: Marketing and Promotion, State Conference, Newsletter and Education. I am also the nominated representative of the Association for the NSW Nurses Association Specialist Professional Nursing associations Forum and Reference Group to Professional Development and Education Committee for the Council NSW Nurses Association.
- Vice President of the NSW Midwives Association (1996-7).
- NSW State delegate to Australian College of Midwives Incorporated (1997-1999).
- President Victorian Branch of ACM (2013-2016).
- Editor for the Australian College of Midwives Journal (1998- )
- Editorial reviewer British Journal of Midwifery (2004- ).
- Ministerial appointment from the NSW Midwives Association for the NSW Maternal and Perinatal Committee and Perinatal Working Party (1998-2002).
- Australian College of Midwives representative on the National AIHW Perinatal Statistical Unit Advisory Committees for the Report on Maternal Deaths 1994-96, first Report on Maternal Morbidity and first report on Reproductive Health (1999-2001).
- Member of Censor Board for Fellowship for ACMI, role includes conducting Fellows Forums once per year (2001-2003; 2004-2005).
- Member of ANEST Reference Group for ACMI (2003- )
- Member of Management Committee 27th International Confederation of Midwives Congress 2005 Brisbane and on Core Scientific Committee for same.
- Member of the Education Subcommittee of ACMI Victorian Branch.
- Member of ACMI Midwifery Practice Review Advisory Group to develop the Midwifery Practice Review (2006- 7).
- Participated in the Australian College of Midwives Midwifery Practice Review process to become a Reviewer (2007-)
- Member of the Midwifery Education Standards Advisory Committee of Australian College of Midwives (2007- ). Current task is to write the standards for midwifery education in Australia;
- Member of SET Portfolio Board (2007-2009)
- Member of Academic Development Committee (2007-2009).
Educational development work
Linda Jones has had extensive experience in the area of course and program development and leading quality teaching initiatives. She has contributed consistently to the design and delivery of over five postgraduate programs including midwifery and three undergraduate programs.
Refereed journal articles
Breach R and Jones LK (2017) Victorian Maternal and Child Health stakeholder knowledge, attitudes and beliefs to the national registration changes. Journal of Hospital Administration (under review)
Vine J, Shahwan-Akl L, Maude P, Jones LK and Kimpton A (2017) Nurses attitudes and knowledge to individuals who engage in non-suicidal self-injury. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing (under review)
Albagawi B and Jones LK (2017) Quantitative exploration of the barriers and facilitators to nurse-patient communication in Saudi Arabia. Journal of Hospital Administration. 6(1): 16-24.
Alhaiti A, DeCosta C, Jones LK and Lenon G (2016) Psychometric evaluation of the revised Michigan Diabetes Knowledge Test in Arabic: translation and validation. Journal of Diabetes Research. (3): 1-7.
Tyagi A, Cohen M, Reece J, Telles S and Jones LK (2016) Heart rate variability during yoga practice and mental stress in yoga practitioners, non yoga practitioners and people with metabolic syndrome. Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, pp. 1-13 ISSN: 1090-0586.
Jones LK and Maxwell J (2016) Engaging midwifery students in academic integrity through a multi faceted, integrated approach. Journal of Education and Human Development. 4(4): 32-38 ISSN: 2334-296X
Alqahtani M, Jones LK and Holroyd E (2016) Organisational barriers to effective pain management amongst oncology nurses in Saudi Arabia. Journal of Hospital Administration. 5(1): 81-89.
Alhaiti, A. Jones, L. Qasim, A. and Lenon, G. (2015) The effectiveness of self-management education with type 2 diabetes patients in Saudi Arabia: systematic literature review. International Journal of Current Research. 7(10): 21854-21860
Haworth N and Jones LK (2015) Exploring the level of interprofessional engagement within a chiropractic program. International Journal of Current Research. 7(11): 22617-22624.
Sheeran, L. Buchanan, K. Welch, A. and Jones, L. (2015) Women's experiences of learning to breastfeed. Breastfeeding Review. 23(3): 15-22.
Katooa N, Shahwan-Akl L, Reece J & Jones LK (2015) Characteristics of Saudi families with chronically ill children. International Journal of Nursing. 2(1): 59-73.
Alrashidi M, Shahwan-Akl L, James J and Jones LK (2015) Contributing factors to childhood overweight and obesity in Kuwait. International Journal of Health Sciences. 3(1): 133-135.
Sheeran L, Jones LK and Welch A (2015) An exploration of relationships: new mothers, their partners and own mothers’. International Journal of Gender and Women’s Studies. 3(1):26-32.
Alqahtani M and Jones LK (2015) Quantitative study of oncology nurses knowledge and attitudes towards pain management in Saudia Arabian hospital. European Journal of Oncology Nurses. 19:44-49.
Fenton C and Jones LK (2015) Towards achieving cultural sensitivity in Aboriginal maternity care. International Journal of Health Sciences. 3(1):23-38.
Alrashidi M, Shahwan-Akl L, Jones LK, and James J (2015) Children and their parents perceptions of overweight and obesity in Kuwait children. International Journal of Current Research. 7(8): 19661-19666.
Breach R, Jones LK and Sheeran L (2014) Management of Maternal and Child Health Services in Victoria Australia: Education or Health Portfolio. International Journal of Nursing. 1(2):101-123.
Breach R and Jones LK (2014) An exploration of the maternal and child health changes in Australia. International Journal of Business, Humanities and Technology. 4(3): 95-105.
Haworth N, Gordon S and Jones LK (2012) Changing trends in puberty: implications for chiropractic practitioners. Journal of Clinical Chiropractic Pediatrics. 13(1): 951-957.
Thwala SBP, Jones LK and Holroyd E (2012) An ethnographic account of the beliefs, values, and experiences of rural Swazi women during childbirth. Evidence Based Midwifery. 10(3):40-44
McIntyre M, Patrick A and Jones LK (2012) Managing projected workforce deficits through collaborative partnership. Australian Health Review 36(1): 75-78.
Thwala SBP, Holroyd E and Jones LK (2011) Health belief dualism in the postnatal practices of rural Swazi women: an ethnographic account. Women and Birth Online, 1-7
Thwala SBP, Jones LK and Holroyd E (2011) Values and beliefs of rural Swazi women regarding their childbirth practice. International Journal of Nursing Practice. 17 (1) 93-101
Jones LK, Ramcharan R, Nankervis K, Binger T and McKenzie C (2010) Sexuality, pregnancy and midwifery care for women with intellectual disabilities: a pilot on attitudes of university students. Contemporary Nurse. 35 (1) 47-57
Belcher M and Jones LK (2009) Graduate nurses developing a trusting relationship with their patients. Contemporary Nurse. 31 (2) 142-152.
Jones L and Chouzadjian K (2006) Female Reproductive Health Breakdown. In Daly J, Chang E and Elliott D (2006) Pathophysiology Applied to Nursing Practice. Sydney: Elsevier.
Jones L and Wright A (2006) Complications of the Newborn (2006) In Pairman S, Pincombe J, Thorogood C and Tracey S (2006) Midwifery – Preparation for Practice. Sydney: Elsevier.