Phone: (03) 5122 6637
- Grad.Dip AdvNsgPrac(Emerg)
- Grad.Cert HPE
- Clinical and assessment skills
- Advanced practice (Emergency and critical care)
- Simulation teaching and learning
- Evidence-based nursing practice
- Research and scholarship
- Knowledge translation
- Primary health care
- College of Emergency Nursing Australasia (CENA)
- Australian Nursing Federation (ANF)
- Australian College of Critical Care Nurses (ACCCN)
Grants and awards
- 2015 – Department of Health and Human Services Grant $200,000
Project title: The impact of face-to-face and web-based simulation on patient deterioration and patient safety.
- 2011 - Education Seeding Grant $2000 received from Monash University School of Nursing and Midwifery.
Project title: First year nursing students' and educators' reflection upon learning clinical nursing skills in the past and present.
- 2012 – Nominated for most outstanding on-campus lecturer (Golden Apple Award), Monash University, Gippsland Campus.
- 2011 – Nominated for most outstanding on-campus lecturer (Golden Apple Award), Monash University, Gippsland Campus.
- 2010 – Nominated for most outstanding on-campus lecturer (Golden Apple Award), Monash University, Gippsland Campus.
- Evidence-based nursing practice.
- Health behaviours of undergraduate nursing students and industrial employees.
- Knowledge translation.
- The impact of face-to-face and web-based simulation on patient deterioration and patient safety.
- Human behaviour and cognition in an emergency simulated environment for teaching and learning purposes.
- Knowledge retention and life-long learning in practicing nurses.
Current student projects
Supervision of honour student (project name in development).
Cant, R., James, A., Chung, C., Davis, J., & Birks, M. (2013). The Teaching of Physical Assessment Skills in Pre-registration programs in Australia: Issues for Nursing Education.
Birks, M., Cant, R.P., James, A., Chung, C.S., Davis, J., (2012). The use of physical assessment skills by registered nurses in Australia: issues for nurse education, Collegian: Journal of the Royal College of Nursing Australia [P], vol 20, issue 1, Elservier BV, Netherlands, pp. 27-33.
Cant, R., Cooper, S., Chung, C., O'Connor, M., (2011). The divided self: Near death experiences of resuscitated patients A review of literature, International Emergency Nursing [P], vol E, Elsevier Ltd, Netherlands, pp. 1-6.