Dr. Stephen (Steve) Edwards
Phone: (03) 53279165
Position: Senior Lecturer, Placement Coordinator, Master of Psychology (clinical) Programme
- Grad. Dip. Ed
- Psychological assessment
- Adult psychopathology
- Behaviour change
- Research supervision
- Clinical supervision
Psychology Board of Australia
- General registration
- Clinical endorsement
- Approved supervisor:
- 4+2 Internship (Principal & Secondary)
- 5+1 Internship (Principal & Secondary)
- Higher Degree program (clinical psychology)
- Work in Addition to Higher Degree
- Registrar Program (Clinical psychology, Principal & Secondary)
- Australian Psychological Society (member)
- APS College of Clinical Psychologists (fellow)
- APS Psychology, Intellectual Disability and Autism Interest Group (committee)
- Australian and New Zealand Association of Psychiatry, Psychology and Law (member)
- Society for Mental Health Research (member)
- Australian Society for Intellectual Disability (member)
- Australian Association for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (member)
- Victorian Psychologists Association (life member)
My research interests lie in both theoretical and applied areas of mental health problems amongst adults, especially those with a neurodevelopmental disorder such as intellectual disability or an autism spectrum disorder. Theoretical areas of interest include the impact of ability (particularly ability below average) on aspects of Beck’s cognitive models of anxiety and depression models as well as how ability and trait anxiety affect visual attention to emotional faces. Applied areas of interest include the detection, measurement and prevalence of anxiety and depressive symptoms amongst adults with low ability as well as cognitive behavioural interventions.
Grants (last 5 years)
Edwards, S. Faculty of Health Emerging Career Researchers Seed Funding Grant 2018:Group social skills training programmes for adults living with autism spectrum disorder. Awarded: $5,000
Conference Presentations (last 5 years)
Edwards, S.L. & Jackson, H.J. (2017) Can thoughts predict symptoms of depression and anxiety in adults with low ability? Paper presented at European Association for Mental Health and Intellectual Disability (EAMHID), 11th Conference, Luxembourg.
Edwards, S.L. & Jackson, H.J. (2017) Do anxiety and depression influence attentional processing of faces amongst adult adults with low ability? Paper presented at EAMHID, 11th Conference, Luxembourg.
Edwards, S.L., & Jackson, H.J. (2016) Evidence for cognitive content-specificity for depression and anxiety in a sample with intellectual disability. Paper presented at International Association for the Scientific Study of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IASSID) 15th World Conference, Melbourne.
Edwards, S. & Jackson, H.J. (2016) Visual attention bias to emotional stimuli amongst adults with intellectual disability. Paper presented at IASSIDD 15th World Conference, Melbourne.
Edwards, S., & Jackson, H.J. (2016). The impact of receptive language and anxiety on attentional processing of emotional faces amongst adults with low ability. Paper presented at the 8th World Congress of Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies (WCBCT), Melbourne.