Bean, David (Dr)
|Position||Senior Lecturer – Microbiology|
|Discipline||Food and nutritional science|
|Phone||+613 5327 9247|
- Food safety
- Food biotechnology
- Food quality management
- American Society for Microbiology
- International Association for Food Protection
- Antibiotic resistance in bacteria
- Microbial stress resistance
- Pathogens in the food chain
- Bean, D.C. and L. Post. Candy, Chocolate and Confections in The Microbiological Safety of Low Water Activity Foods and Spices. Eds. Gurtler, Doyle and Kornacki. (In Press).
- Bean, D., F. Bourdichon, D. Bresnahan, A. Davies, A. Geeraerd, T. Jackson, J. Membre, B. Pourkomailian, P. Richardson, M. Stringer, M. Uyttendaele and M. Zwietering. 2012. Risk assessment approaches to setting thermal processes in food manufacture. The International Life Science Institute Europe Report series.
- Wareham, D.W., N.C. Gordon, J.B. Casals and D.C. Bean. 2009. Reduced susceptibility of multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii to tigecycline in combination with 1-(1-naphthylmethyl)-piperazine is not a pH-dependent phenomenon. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. May; 63 (5): 1075-1076.
- Bean, D.C., D.M. Livermore and L.M.C. Hall. 2009. Plasmids imparting sulfonamide resistance in Escherichia coli: implications for persistence. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. Mar; 53 (3): 1088-1093.
- Bean, D.C. and D.W. Wareham. 2009. Paradoxical effect of 1-(1-naphthylmethyl)-piperazine on resistance to tetracyclines in multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. Feb; 63 (2): 349-352.
- Bean, D.C., D. Krahe and D.W. Wareham. 2008 Antimicrobial resistance in community and nosocomial Escherichia coli urinary tract isolates, London 2005-2006. Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials. 7: 13.
- Wareham, D.W., D.C. Bean, P. Khanna, E.M. Hennessy, D. Krahe, A. Ely and M. Millar. 2008. Bloodstream infection due to Acinetobacter spp: epidemiology, risk factors and impact of multi-drug resistance. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Disease. Jul; 27 (7): 607-612.
- Bean, D.C., A. Hills, T. Ryan and J. Aitken. 2007. Evaluation of the BD ProbeTec system for direct detection Mycobacterium bovis in veterinary specimens. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. Oct; 45 (10): 3434-3435.
- Giddens, S.R. and D.C. Bean. 2007. Investigations into the in vitro antimicrobial activity and mode of action of the phenazine antibiotic d-alanylgriseoluteic acid. The International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. Jan; 29 (1): 93-97.
- Cepeda, J.A., M. Millar, E.A. Sheridan, S. Warwick, M. Raftery, D.C. Bean and D.W. Wareham. 2006. Listeriosis due to a catalase negative strain of Listeria monocytogenes. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. May; 44 (5): 1917-1918.
- Wareham, D.W. and D.C. Bean. 2006. In vitro activity of polymyxin B in combination with imipenem, rifampicin and azithromycin versus multidrug resistant strains of Acinetobacter baumannii producing OXA-23 carbapenemases. Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials. April; 5 (10).
- Wareham, D.W. and D.C. Bean. 2006. In vitro activity of polymyxin B, imipenem and rifampin against multi-drug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. Feb; 50 (2): 825-826.
- Bean, D.C., D.M. Livermore, I. Papa and L.M.C. Hall. 2005. Resistance among Escherichia coli to sulphonamides and other antimicrobials now little used in man. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. Nov; 56 (5): 962-964.
- Bean, D.C., D.M. Livermore and L.M.C. Hall. 2005. Persistence of sulphonamide resistance in the community despite lack of selection. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. April; 11 (Supplement 2): 51.
- Bean, D.C. and J.D. Klena. 2005. Characterization of major clones of antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in New Zealand by multilocus sequence typing. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. Mar; 55 (3): 375-378.
- Bean, D.C., R.B. Ikram and J.D. Klena. 2004. Molecular characterization of penicillin non-susceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae in Christchurch, New Zealand. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. Jul; 54 (1): 122-129.
- Bean, D.C. and J.D. Klena. 2002. Prevalence of erm(B) and mef(A) erythromycin resistance determinants in isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae from New Zealand. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy Oct; 50 (4): 597-599.
- Bean, D.C., M. Brett and J.D. Klena. 2000. Molecular epidemiology of penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates recovered during 1997-1999 in Christchurch, New Zealand. Proceedings of the XIV Lancefield International Symposium on Streptococci and Streptococcal Diseases, 229-233.