Aldred, Peter (Dr) - Research
Current research projects/students
- Effect of Proteins and Low Molecular Weight Surfactants on Spray-Drying and Powder Properties of Sugar-Rich Foods - Mithila Jayasundera, PhD
- Physicochemical and functional properties of lentil protein isolate, lentil starch and their composite gels and pastes - Matina Joshi, PhD
- Hurdle technology in beer: the survival and growth of pathogens and spoilage lactic acid bacteria -Garry Menz, PhD
- Barley Non-starch Polysaccharide content and its relationship with kernel hardness and water uptake - Jayantha Gamlath, PhD
- Using digital image analysis for assessing the quality of wheat and barley - Bruce Armstrong, MAppSc
Consulting and other activities
I do a wide range of consulting for the brewing industry including product development trials, brewing technical training and sensory evaluation courses.
- M. Amdadul Haque, Jie Chen, Peter Aldred and Benu Adhikari (2014). Drying and denaturation characteristics of whey protein isolate in the presence of lactose and trehalose. Submitted to Food Research International
- Hains-Wesson, Wakeling and Aldred (2014) A University-wide ePortfolio initiative at Federation University Australia: Software Analysis, Pre-production, Pilot, Technology Dissemination and Evaluation Phases. Intl J ePortfolios (accepted for publication)
- M. Amdadul Haque, Peter Aldred, Jie Chen, Colin Barrow and Benu Adhikari (2014). Drying and Denaturation Characteristics of ??Lactalbumin, ??Lactoglobulin, and Bovine Serum Albumin in a Convective Drying Process. J. Agric. Food Chem dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf405603c
- Naiker, M., Wakeling, L. and Aldred, P. (2013) The relevance of chemistry practicals - first year students' perspective at a regional University in Victoria, Australia. Proceedings of the Australian Conference on Science and Mathematics Education, 2013, 169 - 173.
- Joshi, M., Aldred, P., Panozzo, J.F., Kasapis, S., Adhikari, B. (2013) Rheological and microstructural characteristics of lentil starch-lentil protein composite pastes and gels. Food Hydrocolloids - Article in Press
- Amdadul Haque, M., Putranto, A., Aldred, P., Chen, J., Adhikari, B. (2013) Drying and Denaturation Kinetics of Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) During Convective Air Drying Process. Drying Technology 31 (13-14) , pp. 1532-1544.
- Haque, M.A., Aldred, P., Chen, J., Barrow, C.J., Adhikari, B. (2013) Comparative study of denaturation of whey protein isolate (WPI) in convective air drying and isothermal heat treatment processes Food Chemistry 141 (2), 702-711
- Joshi, M., Aldred, P., McKnight, S., Panozzo, J.F., Kasapis, S., Adhikari, R., Adhikari, B. (2013) Physicochemical and functional characteristics of lentil starch. Carbohydrate Polymers 92 (2), 1484-1496
- Joshi, M., Adhikari, B., Aldred, P., Panozzo, J.F., Kasapis, S., Barrow, C.J. (2012). Interfacial and emulsifying properties of lentil protein isolate. Food Chemistry 134 (3), 1343-1353.
- Menz, G., Aldred, P., Vriesekoop, F. (2011) Growth and survival of foodborne pathogens in beer. Journal of Food Protection 74 (10) , pp. 1670-1675
- Joshi, M., Adhikari, B., Aldred, P., Panozzo, J.F., Kasapis, S. (2011) Physicochemical and functional properties of lentil protein isolates prepared by different drying methods. Food Chemistry 129 (4), 1513-1522.
- Jayasundera, M., Adhikari, B., Howes, T., Aldred, P. (2011) Surface protein coverage and its implications on spray-drying of model sugar-rich foods: Solubility, powder production and characterisation. Food Chemistry 128 (4), 1003-1016.
- Mithila Jayasundera, Benu Adhikari, Raju Adhikari and Peter Aldred (2011). The effects of proteins and low molecular weight surfactants on spray drying of model sugar-rich foods: Powder production and characterisation. Journal of Food Engineering 104 (2011) 259-271
- M. Jayasundera, B. Adhikari, R. Adhikari and P. Aldred. (2011). The effect of protein types and low molecular weight surfactants on spray-drying of sugar-rich foods. Food Hydrocolloids 25, (3) 459-469.
- Garry Menz, Christian Andrighetto, Angiolella Lombardi, Viviana Corich, Peter Aldred and Frank Vriesekoop (2010). Isolation, Identification, and Characterisation of Beer-Spoilage Lactic Acid Bacteria from Microbrewed Beer from Victoria, Australia. J.Inst Brew. 116 (1), pp. 14-22
- Matina Joshi; Benu Prasad Adhikari, Peter Aldred, Joe Panozzo (2010). Water uptake and its impact on texture of lentils (Lens culinaris). J. Food Eng. 100 (1), pp. 61-69
- Garry Menz, Frank Vriesekoop, Mehdi Zarei, Bofei Zhu, and Peter Aldred (2010) The growth and survival of food borne pathogens in sweet and fermenting brewers' wort. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 140 (1), pp. 19-25
- Mithila Jayasundera, Benu P. Adhikari, Peter Aldred, Raju Adhikari (2010) The effect of food grade low molecular weight surfactants and sodium caseinate on spray-drying of sugar-rich foods. Food Biophysics 5, 128 - 137
- M. Jayasundera, B. Adhikari, P. Aldred. and A. Ghandi (2009). Surface modification of spray dried food and emulsion powders with surface active proteins: A review. Journal of Food Engineering. 93 (3), pp. 266-277
- Jayantha Gamlath, Peter Aldred and Joseph F Panozzo (2008) Barley (1?3;1?4)-?-glucan and arabinoxylan content are related to kernel hardness and water uptake. J. Cereal Sci. 47, 365 - 371.
- Armstrong BG, Armstrong TA, Blakeney AB, Aldred GP: Detecting Rice Discoloration With An Image Analyser. In: Panozzo JF, Black CK (eds) Cereals 2007: Proc. of 57th Aust. Cereal Chem. Conf., pp. 114-117. RACI:CCD, Melbourne (2007).
- Armstrong, B. G., M. Weiss, T. A. Armstrong and G. P. Aldred. (2006). Blackpoint Impact Model For Wheat. Proceedings of the 56th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Perth, Australia, September 11-14.
- Armstrong, B.G., T.A. Armstrong, A.B.Blakeney, L.G. Lewin and G.P. Aldred. (2006). Measuring Long Grain Rice With An Image Analyser. Proceedings of the 56th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Perth, Australia, September 11-14.
- Armstrong, B.G., G.P. Aldred., T.A. Armstrong, A.B.Blakeney and L.G. Lewin (2005). Measuring Rice Grain Dimensions with an Image Analyser. In Cereals 2005: Proceedings of the 55th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Sydney, Australia July 3 - 7, Editors C. L. Blanchard, H. Truong, H.M. Allen, A. B. Blakeney and L. O'Brien, pp. 326-329.
- Armstrong, B. G., Weiss, M., Armstrong, T. A., Grieg R. I., and Aldred G.P. (2004). Blackpoint Assessment of Barley and Wheat using Digital Image Analysis. Proceedings of the 54th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Sydney, Australia.
- Robinson, L., Evans, D.E., Kaukovirta-Norja, A., Vilpola, A., Aldred, P. and Home, S. (2004). The interaction between malt protein quality and brewing conditions, and their impact on beer colloidal stability. MBAA Technical Quarterly, 41 (4), 353 - 362.
- Armstrong, B.G. Weiss, M. Grieg, R.I. Dines, J. Gooden J. and Aldred G.P. (2003). Determining screening fractions and kernel roundness with digital image analysis. Proceedings of the 53rd Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Glenelg, Australia, 7-10th September, 2003.
- Armstrong, B. G., Weiss, M., Grieg R. I., and Aldred, G. P. (2002). Using digital imaging to accurately determine the thousand kernel weight of randomly distributed barley, malt and wheat samples. Proceedings of the 51st Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Coogee, Australia, 9-13th September, 2001, pp 115 - 118.
Professional memberships and associations
- Member of the Institute of Brewing and Distilling
- Professional Member of the Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology
- Member of the Master Brewers Association of America
- Member of the American Society of Brewing Chemists
- Malt, barley and beer quality
- Proteins in food
- Science education