Assoc Prof Kim Dowling - Research
Student research projects
Metal accumulation in Australian fungi: Uptake, toxicity and risk in mining affected landscapes
Navua sedge (Cyperus aromaticus): biology, ecology and management
Restoration of grassland through management of above and below ground management of Serrated Tussock
The role and impact of Mercury and other toxic metals in and around mined landscapes
Characterization of the Dorchap Dyke Swarm: A mineralogical/chemical assessment with a view to understanding placement/context.
Natural contaminants in soil, water and food from Makueni county, South-eastern Kenya: Health implications and community awareness of risks.
The influence of controlled fire on the mobilization of Potentially Toxic Elements (PTE) in a mined landscape: Implications for land management and environmental health
Historical mine sites as modern-day sources of
contamination: Measurement and characterisation of arsenic in historical gold mine wastes to identify the potential for mobility and human exposure
Maged Al Mandalawi *
Study on Complex Rock Slope Stability in Large Scale Open Cut Mine: Mechanism and Evaluation
Microencapsulation of omega-3 fatty acids from flaxseed oil in flaxseed protein and flaxseed gum based matrix.
Co-encapsulation of omega-3 fatty acids and probiotic bacteria through complex coacervation
Performance of an auger dredging cutter for subsea dredging and mining
Geology, geography and cancer: is there a connection in the goldfields region of Victoria, Australia?
Distribution of arsenic and heavy metals in soils and surface waters in Central Victoria (Ballarat, Creswick and Maldon)
Electrokinetic remediation of arsenic contaminated soils
Exploration in Historical Mining Provinces: How Portable XRF data can aid target detection in extensively worked terrains.
Metals in edible mushrooms foraged from the Latrobe Valley and surrounding regions – Metal uptake and dietary implications
Industrial past, urban future: assessing risks of metal mobilisation in a contaminated wetland.
Child’s play: linking biological arsenic concentrations to trace elements in the environment
Arsenic concentration in the biosphere: An exploratory cross-sectional study, employing the Horse (Equas caballus) as a biomarker
Funded by Union Reefs Pty Ltd.
Geochemical Characterization and impacts associated with Mining at Union Reefs Gold Mine, Northern Territory, Australia.
Diamond Exploration on Flinders Island, South Australia with emphasis in associated with Kimberlitic indicator minerals.
Financial support from AINSE
A biogeochemical Principal study of Garden Soils and vegetables in the Central Victorian Goldfields.
A Hydrogeochemical Assessment of Trace Element Concentrations at the Alcoa, Power Station, Anglesea
Arsenic Concentration of Historical Gold Mining Material with Consequent Uptake by Vegetables: A Case Study From Central Victoria, Australia. (Graduate Diploma)
Assessment of the hydrologeology surrounding the Fosterville open pit with reference to the impacts of Tailings
Gold Mineralization in the Foster Region, South Gippsland
Geophysical Image Interpretation of the Dissected Coastal Plains, South Victoria
Lee Project fully funded by BHP Evans
Assessment of acid mine drainage at the Ag-Pb-Zn Cannington Mine, NW Queensland.
Fully supported by Alcoa of Australia
Leachate production, movement and impact at a Hazardous waste landfill, Point Henry, Victoria
Hydrogeochemical evolution of groundwater in the Ballarat Region
Fully supported by Alcoa of Australia.
Assessment of a Hazardous waste landfill, Point Henry, Victoria.
Professional memberships and associations
- Geological Society of Australia
- International Medical Geology Association
- International Association of Geochemistry and Cosmochemistry
- Australasian Society for Engineering Education
Places I do field work
- Kattel, G., Reeves, J., Western, A., Zhang, W., Jing, W., McGowan, S, Cuo, L., Scales, P., Dowling, K., He, Q. and Wang, L., (2021). Healthy waterways and ecologically sustainable cities in Beijing‐Tianjin‐Hebei urban agglomeration (northern China): Challenges and future directions. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Water, 8(2), e1500.
- Abraham, J., Dowling, K., & Florentine, S. (2021). Can Copper Products and Surfaces Reduce the Spread of Infectious Microorganisms and Hospital-Acquired Infections?. Materials, 14(13), 3444.
- Humphries, T., Florentine, S. K., Dowling, K., Turville, C., & Sinclair, S. (2021). Weed management for landscape scale restoration of global temperate grasslands. Land Degradation & Development, 32(3), 1090-1102.
- Abraham, J., Dowling, K., & Florentine, S. (2021). Can Optimum Solar Radiation Exposure or Supplemented Vitamin D Intake Reduce the Severity of COVID-19 Symptoms?. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(2), 740.
- Chadha, A., Florentine, S. K., Dhileepan, K., Dowling, K., & Turville, C. (2021). Germination biology of three populations of Navua sedge (Cyperus aromaticus). Weed Science, 69(1), 69-81.
- Humphries, T., Dowling, K., Turville, C., Sinclair, S., & Florentine, S. (2020). Ecology, distribution and control of the invasive weed Nassella trichotoma (Nees) Hack. ex Arechav.: A global review of current and future challenges. Weed Research.
- Gevera , P. Cave, M. Dowling, K. Gikuma-Njuru P. & Mouri H. (2020). Naturally occurring potentially harmful elements in groundwater in Makueni County, South-Eastern Kenya: Effects on drinking water quality and agriculture. Geosciences (Switzerland), 10(2), 62.
- Humphries, T., Florentine, S. K., Dowling, K., Turville, C., & Sinclair, S. (2020). Weed management for landscape scale restoration of global temperate grasslands: a review. Land Degradation & Development.
- Martin, R., Dowling, K Nankervis, S., Pearce, D., Florentine, S., & McKnight, S. (2018). In vitro assessment of arsenic mobility in historical mine waste dust using simulated lung fluid. Environmental geochemistry and health, 40(3), 1037-1049.
- Abraham, J., Dowling, K., & Florentine, S. (2018). Influence of controlled burning on the mobility and temporal variations of potentially toxic metals (PTMs) in the soils of a legacy gold mine site in Central Victoria, Australia. Geoderma, 331, 1-14.
- Abraham, J., Dowling, K., Florentine, S. (2018) Controlled burn and immediate mobilization of potentially toxic elements in soil, from a legacy mine site in Central Victoria, Australia. Science of the Total Environment, 616-617, 1022-1034.
- Abraham, J., Dowling, K., Florentine, S. (2018) Assessment of potentially toxic metal contamination in the soils of a legacy mine site in Central Victoria, Australia. Chemosphere, 192, 122-132.
- Abraham, J., Dowling, K. & Florentine, S. (2018) Effects of prescribed fire and post-fire rainfall on mercury mobilization and subsequent contamination assessment in a legacy mine site in Victoria, Australia. Chemosphere, 190, 144-153
- Eratte, D., Dowling, K., Barrow, C.J., Adhikari, B. (2017) Recent advances in the microencapsulation of omega-3 oil and probiotic bacteria through complex coacervation: A review. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 71, 121-131.
- Florentine, S., Weller, S., King, A., Florentine, A., Dowling, K., Westbrooke, M., & Chauhan, B. S. (2018). Seed germination response of a noxious agricultural weed Echium plantagineum to temperature, light, pH, drought stress, salinity, heat and smoke. Crop and Pasture Science, 69(3), 326-333.
- Eratte, D., Dowling, K., Barrow, C. J., & Adhikari, B. P. (2017). In-vitro digestion of probiotic bacteria and omega-3 oil co-microencapsulated in whey protein isolate-gum Arabic complex coacervates. Food Chemistry, 227, 129-136.
- Abraham, J., Dowling, K., & Florentine, S. (2017). Risk of post-fire metal mobilization into surface water resources: a review. Science of the Total Environment, 599, 1740-1755.
- Martin, R., Dowling, K., Pearce, D. C., Florentine, S., McKnight, S., Stelcer, E. Cohen, D. Stopic, A. & Bennett, J. W. (2017). Trace metal content in inhalable particulate matter (PM 2.5–10 and PM 2.5) collected from historical mine waste deposits using a laboratory-based approach. Environmental geochemistry and health, 39(3), 549-563.
- Abraham, J., Dowling, K., & Florentine, S. (2017). The unquantified risk of post-fire metal concentration in soil: a review. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, 228(5), 175.
- Kaushik, P., Dowling, K., Adhikari, R., Barrow, C. J., & Adhikari, B. (2017). Effect of extraction temperature on composition, structure and functional properties of flaxseed gum. Food Chemistry, 215, 333-340.
- Martin, R., Dowling, K., Pearce, D. C., Florentine, S., Bennett, J. W., & Stopic, A. (2016). Size-dependent characterisation of historical gold mine wastes to examine human pathways of exposure to arsenic and other potentially toxic elements. Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 1-18.
- Almandalawi, M., You, G., Dowling, K., & Dahlhaus, P. (2016). Kinematic Assessment of Slopes at Handlebar Hill Open Cut Mine, Mt Isa, Queensland, Australia. International Journal of GEOMATE, 10(19), 1575-1583.
- Florentine, S.K., Weller, S., Graz, P.F., Westbrooke, M., Florentine, A., Javaid, M., Fernando, N., Chauhan, B.S. and Dowling, K (2016). Influence of selected environmental factors on seed germination and seedling survival of the arid zone invasive species tobacco bush (Nicotiana glauca). The Rangeland Journal, 38(4), 417-425.
- Kaushik, P., Dowling, K., McKnight, S., Barrow, C. J., Wang, B., & Adhikari, B. (2016). Preparation, characterization and functional properties of flax seed protein isolate. Food chemistry, 197, 212-220.
- Kaushik, P., Dowling, K., McKnight, S., Barrow, C. J., & Adhikari, B. (2016). Microencapsulation of flaxseed oil in flaxseed protein and flaxseed gum complex coacervates. Food Research International, 86, 1-8.
- Eratte, D., Gengenbach, T. R., Dowling, K., Barrow, C. J., & Adhikari, B. (2016). Survival, oxidative stability, and surface characteristics of spray dried co-microcapsules containing omega-3 fatty acids and probiotic bacteria. Drying Technology, 34(16), 1926-1935.
- Eratte, D., Wang, B., Dowling, K., Barrow, C. J., & Adhikari, B. (2016). Survival and fermentation activity of probiotic bacteria and oxidative stability of omega-3 oil in co-microcapsules during storage. Journal of Functional Foods, 23, 485-496.
- Kaushik, P., Dowling, K., Barrow, C. J., & Adhikari, B. (2015). Microencapsulation of omega-3 fatty acids: A review of microencapsulation and characterization methods. Journal of Functional Foods, 19, 868-881
- Almandalawi M., You G., Dahlhaus P., Dowling K. & Sabry M. (2015) .Slope stability and rockfall hazard analysis in open pit zinc mine. International Journal of GEOMATE 8/1.1143-1150.
- Kaushik, P, Dowling K, Barrow CJ, Adhikari B (2015) Complex coacervation between flaxseed protein isolate and flaxseed gum. International Food Research Journal, 72, 91-97.
- Eratte, D., McKnight, S., Gengenbach, T. R., Dowling, K., Barrow, C. J., & Adhikari, B. P. (2015). Co-encapsulation and characterisation of omega-3 fatty acids and probiotic bacteria in whey protein isolate–gum Arabic complex coacervates. Journal of Functional Foods, 19, Part B, 882-892
- Martin, R., Dowling, K., Pearce, D., Sillitoe, J., & Florentine, S. (2014). Health Effects Associated with Inhalation of Airborne Arsenic Arising from Mining Operations. Geosciences, 4(3), 128-175. Eratte, D., Wang, B., Dowling, K., Barrow, C. J., & Adhikari, B. P. (2014). Complex coacervation with whey protein isolate and gum arabic for the microencapsulation of omega-3 rich tuna oil. Food & Function, 5(11), 2743-2750.
- Martin, R., Dowling, K., Pearce, D.C., Bennett, J., Stopic, A. (2013). Ongoing soil arsenic exposure of children living in an historical gold mining area in Regional Victoria, Australia: Identifying risk factors associated with uptake. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 77, 256–261
- Martin, R., Dowling, K. (2013) Trace metal contamination of mineral spring water in an historical mining area in regional Victoria, Australia. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 77, 262-267
- Pearce, D., Dowling, K, and., Sim, (2012) Cancer incidence and soil arsenic exposure in a historical gold mining area in Victoria, Australia: a geospatial analysis. Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology, 22(3), 248-57.
- Pearce, D., Dowling, K, Gerson, A., Sim, M., Sutton, M., Newville, M., Russell, R., McOrist, g., (2010) Arsenic microdistribution and speciation in toenail clippings of children living in a historic gold mining area. Science of the Total Environment, 408 (10), 2590-2599.
- Butt, D., Dowling, K. and Vinden, p. (2008) Assessment of Cadmium Distribution in Some Australian Krasnozems by Sequential Extraction. Water Air and Soil Pollution 190(1-4),157-177.
- Sultan, K., and Dowling, K. (2006). Seasonal changes in arsenic concentrations and hydrogeochemistry of Canadian Creek, Ballarat (Victoria, Australia). Water, Air and Soil Pollution, 169(1-4), 355-374.
- Sultan, K., and Dowling, K. (2006). Arsenic and major cation hydrogeochemistry of the Central Victorian (Creswick-Ballarat) surface waters. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 18(1), 184-192.
- Peters, S. G., Golding, S. D., & Dowling, K. (1991). Melange-and sediment-hosted gold-bearing quartz veins, Hodgkinson gold field, Queensland, Australia – A reply. Economic Geology, 86(1), 197-200.
- Peters, S. G., Golding, S. D., & Dowling, K. (1990). Melange-and sediment-hosted gold-bearing quartz veins, Hodgkinson gold field, Queensland, Australia. Economic Geology, 85(2), 312-327.
- Dowling, K & Morrison, G., (1989) Application of quartz textures to the classification of gold deposits using North Queensland examples. R.R. Keays, H.R.H. Ramsay, D.I. Groves (Eds.), The Geology of Gold Deposits: The Perspective in 1988. Economic Geology, Monograms, 6, 342-355
- Devasahayam, S., Dowling, K., & Mahapatra, M. K. (Eds.). (2016). Sustainability in the Mineral and Energy Sectors. CRC Press. https://www.crcpress.com/Sustainability-in-the-Mineral-and-Energy-Sectors/Devasahayam-Dowling-Mahap
- Dowling, K & Ramsay, W. R. H (1997). Gold in Central Victoria: 125th anniversary symposium held on Friday 21st April, 1995. University of Ballarat Geology Dept, Ballarat, Vic Chapters in Books:
- Florentine, S. K., Graz, P., Doronila, A., Martin, R., Dowling, K., & Fernando, N. (2016). Chapter 13 Building Suitable Restoration Approaches in the Brownfields. Sustainability in the Mineral and Energy Sectors.
- K. Dowling, S. Florentine, R. Martin and D. Pearce (2016) Chapter 17 Sustainability and Regional Development: When Brownfields Become Playing Fields Sustainability in the Mineral and Energy Sectors.
- Dowling, K., Bierlein, F.P. Walshe, J.L. Wallace, M.W., Gostin, V.A., & Keays, R.R. (1993). The mobilization of PGE in low-temperature environments: Implications for sediment-hosted startbound copper deposits. In, Hach-Ali, P. F., Torres-Ruiz, J., & Gervilla, F. (Eds.). Current Research in Geology Applied to Ore Deposits. University of Granada.
Refereed conference papers
- You, G., Al Mandalawi, M., Soliman, A., Dowling, K., & Dahlhaus, P. (2017). Finite Element Analysis of Rock Slope Stability Using Shear Strength Reduction Method. In International Congress and Exhibition" Sustainable Civil Infrastructures: Innovative Infrastructure Geotechnology" 227-235. Springer, Cham.
- Sarkar, M.K., Dowling, K Chai, S. Bose, N, and., Sarkar S (2015), Discussions on locomotion and excavation systems of 'SROSD II' 2015 IEEE Underwater Technology, UT
- Sarkar, M.K., Bose, N., Chai, S., and Dowling, K., (2013) Turbidity caused by spillage from a dredging/ mining Transverse axis cutter. 20th World Dredging Congress and Exhibition (WODCON XX): The Art of Dredging Belgium, 134-147.
- N. Bose N S. Chai S. Sarkar M. Dowling K., (2011) Conceptual design of a Submersible Remotely Operated Swimming Dredger (SROSD) Proceedings of the International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering – OMAE.
- Darby, L., Hall, Dowling, K and Kentish, B, (2003) Perceptions of Engineering from Female Secondary College Students in Regional Victoria [online]. In: Brown, Allison (Editor). Engineering Education for a Sustainable Future: Proceedings of the 14th Annual Conference for Australasian Association for Engineering Education and 9th Australasian Women in Engineering Forum. Melbourne, Vic.: Australasian Association for Engineering Education, 2003: 507-516.
- Harvey, G Dowling, K, Waldron, H and Garnett, D., (2003) Trace element content of vegetables grown in the Victorian goldfields: characterization of a potential backyard hazard. Proc of ANA 2003 Fifth Conference on Nuclear Science and Engineering in Australia p168-172.
- Dowling, K., Keays, R. R., Wallace, M. W., & Gostin, V. A. (1992). Mobilization of the platinum group elements by low-temperature fluids: implications for mineralization and the iridium controversy. LPI Contributions, 790, 23.
- Golding S. D., Bultitude R J., Peters S. G., Myers I. A. & Dowling K. (1990). Pacific Rim Conference Stable isotope constraints on genetic models for gold-quartz, antimony-gold-quartz, tin and tungsten-tin mineralization, Hodgkinson Province, northern Queensland. Proceedings of the Pacific Rim congress, 325-335.
Oral presentations with refereed abstracts
- Eagle, R. Dowling, K & McKnight, S (2017) Petrogenetic grouping of Sn-Ta-Li mineralised pegmatites within the Dorchap Dyke Swarm, NE Victoria. Proceedings from Granites2017@Benalla September 2017 Benalla, Victoria, Australia 49-52.
- Sarkar, M.K., Bose, N., Chai, S., and Dowling, K., (2012), Environmental disturbance characterized through spillage from underwater dredging/mining cutting. 34th International Geological Congress, Brisbane. Australia
- Dowling, K Khawar, S and Pearce, D. (2012) Medical geology meets the Goldfields of Victoria, Australia: An intersection across time of the historical, health and planning issues in a mining landscape. 34th International Geological Congress, Brisbane. Australia
- Swan, H and Dowling, K (2012) Land Use Conflict: When disused railway land becomes an environmental park in a schoolyard. 34th International Geological Congress, Brisbane. Australia
- Pearce, D., Dowling, K., & Sim, M. (2011). Soil arsenic and melanoma: Is there a link. GeoMed2011 – 4th International Conference on Medical Geology – Italy. 108.
- Pearce DC, Dowling K, Sim MR. Cancer Incidence and Arsenic in Soil in a Gold Mining Area of Australia. ISEE-ISEA 2008 Joint Conference Exposure and Health in a Global Environment, 12-16 October 2008, Pasadena, CA, USA.
- Pearce DC, Dowling K, Gerson A, Sim MR, Sutton S, Newville M (2008) Toenail arsenic: incorporation patterns and biomarker potential, Australian X-ray Analytical Association Conference, Melbourne.
- Pearce DC, Dowling K, Sim MR, McOrist G & Russell R (2007) Toenails: they know where you’ve been!, Nuclear and Complementary Techniques of Analysis (NCTA) Conference, Melbourne.
- Pearce DC, Dowling K, Waldron H & Garnett D (2005) Child’s play: Investigating exposure potential from arsenic in soil, Asia Pacific Symposium on Environmental Geochemistry, Perth.
- Ellice, M. C., Dowling, K., Smith, J., Smith, E., & Naidu, R. (2001). Abandoned mine tailings with high arsenic concentrations: a case study with implications for regional Victoria. Proceedings of arsenic in the Asia-Pacific region: Managing arsenic for our future, 124, 20-23.
- Darby, L., Hall, S., Kentish, B., & Dowling, K. Female students' perceptions of engineers and engineering.
- Dahlhaus P & Dowling K. Groundwater geochemistry Research Report for Alliance Gold Mines NL Creswick-Clunes Project (Consultancy)