Dr Vijaya L Tatineni
Study area: Early Childhood Education
Location: Mt Helen Campus T Building Room 218
Phone: 5327 6861
Doctor of Philosophy - Monash University 2019
Post Graduate Diploma in Education - Massey University, New Zealand - 2002
Diploma in Early Childhood Education - Massey University, New Zealand - 1998
Bachelor Education Science and English - Anna University, India - 1992
Master of Science - Madras University, India - 1978
Bachelor of Science - Madras University, India - 1975
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary)
- Master of Teaching (Early Childhood)
- Curriculum approaches (EDECE2016)
- Diversity children, families and communities (EDECE2015)
- Numeracy and digital technology (EDECE2017)
- Numeracy and digital technology (EDMAS6029)
- Collaborative learning project (EDECE3020)
Dr Vijaya Tatineni has worked in the field of early childhood education since 1978 in various countries including India, New Zealand and Australia in various roles of a teacher, head teacher and owner of preschool in India. Later she took her experience to tertiary teaching in New Zealand and currently in Australia. Her thesis topic was, ‘Engaging Indian children and families in early childhood centres in Melbourne, Australia’. She is an early career researcher working on topics that include:
- Understanding the implementation of early childhood policies around cultural competencies: Teacher and Indian parent partnership in engaging young children.
- Narrative multiculturalism aptly describing where I am today as an early childhood educator
- Having productive dialogues as a transformative classroom management technique in teacher education.
- Scoping a project using the Multicultural Umbrella model and activity theory to promote communications between Indian parents and early childhood educators.
Areas of expertise
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) Sector experience in India and New Zealand and knowledge/ skills in the Australian ECE Curriculum
- Cultural diversity and learning in early childhood education in India, New Zealand, Australia
- Understanding and inclusion of student teachers with cultural learning needs, guiding them to find a way to study and teach ways that will work for them.
- Distance/online teaching and learning
- Working in the Indian and Australian community in Ballarat. Connections with Indian Community
- Community Work
- Cultural diversity
- Ethnic teachers in Western Countries
- Working with Indian Families
- Teacher Education in India
- Victorian Early Childhood Research Consortium
- Australian Indian Institute (Aii)- University of Melbourne
- Early Childhood Education Reference group- Federation University Australia
- Professional Learning Centre group – Federation University Australia
- The Social Justice, Inclusion and Diversity in Education (SJIDE) - Federation University Australia
- Common Grounds Research Networks
- Early Childhood Forum, Sarah Farquhar, New Zealand.
- Early Childhood Association, India.
- Multicultural Ambassador- Ballarat City Council (2014-2016)
- The Ballarat Indian Association
- Coordinator for Heartfulness organisation in Ballarat