Location: Berwick Campus, Building 901, Room 130G
Phone: (03) 5122 8231
- Doctor of Philosophy (Education: TESOL) Monash University – 2015
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment GIPPS TAFE – 2012
- Master of Philosophy (English Language) M K University – 1999
- Master of Arts (English Language) Bharathidasan University – 1994
- Bachelor of Science (Physics) Bharathidasan University – 1992
- EAP - English and academic preparation program
- EAT - Embedded academic transition courses
- FAST - Foundation access studies program
- English language support program
- Academic Writing (FASTP1015)
Rachel coordinates and runs the English and Academic Preparation (EAP) program at the Berwick Campus and lecturer in FASTP1015 Academic Writing. She has been teaching in Australian universities since 2008 and has taught previously for over a decade in a variety of undergraduate programs in the Middle East and Asia.
Rachel was previously a member of staff at La Trobe University where she worked as a lecturer in English as an Additional Language (EAL) in the Academic Language and Learning Unit. She was involved in developing the curriculum and providing language and learning support to UG/PG/HDR students across faculties. In addition, she has also worked at Monash University as a Learning Skills Advisor and lecturer to assist and equip low SEAS students with the required academic skills necessary for their tertiary studies.
Areas of expertise
Rachel has significant expertise in English language teaching and program development through her work at Monash University English Language Centre and her PhD research into English language learning
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL/ELICOS)
- English language acquisition
- Academic writing
- Foundation mathematics and science
- Transition and first year in higher education
Rachel's research interests lie in two main fields:
- Teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL/ELICOS)
- Literacy and numeracy in transition into higher education
- Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) for Research- 2009 - 2012
- Travel Grant for Research- 2008 & 2010
- University rank holder in MA.
Daniel, R. (2019) English Language in India. Delhi: Gyan Publishing House 9788121214919
Daniel, R. K. & Ponniah, S. D. (2018). Internationalisation of Indian Higher Education. University News, 56 (16) 06-12.
Ponniah, S. D. & Daniel, R. (2017). Indian Higher Education and Global Challenges. University News, 55 (50) 26-35.
Daniel, R. K. & Ponniah, S. D. (2017). Erosion of Ethics and Values among Youth. University News, 55 (40) 08-12.
Daniel, R. K. (2017). Future of English Language in India. Wide Spectrum, 6 (1) 62-77
Ponniah, S. D. & Daniel, R. (2015). Holistic Education for Excellence in Higher Education. University News, 53 (20) 190-194.
Ponniah, S. D. & Daniel, R. (2012).Values Based Integrated Education. University News, 50 (51) 01-05.
Ponniah, S. D. & Daniel, R. (2012). Ethics and Morals in Integrated Education. University News, 50 (50) 14-19.
Ponniah, S. D. & Daniel, R. (2012). Integrated Education. Delhi: Kalpaz Publication
Daniel, R. K. & Ponniah, S. D. (2010). Issues on Globalisation and Indian Higher Education. University News, 48 (13) 13-18.
Daniel, R. & Ponniah, S. D. (2008). An Integrated Approach to Higher Education in India. Theological Book Trust, 10 (1) 14.