Study Area: Outdoor, Environmental and Sustainability Education
Location: Berwick Campus , Room 130F, Building 901
Phone: 03 51226265
Doctor of Philosophy – La Trobe University (under completion)
Graduate Diploma in Secondary Education – Victoria University – 1998
Graduate Diploma in Outdoor Education – La Trobe University – 1997
Bachelor of Architecture (Hons) – University of Melbourne – 1992
Bachelor of Planning and Design - University of Melbourne – 1989
- Bachelor of Sport, Physical and Outdoor Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Outdoor Environmental Education
- Outdoor Living and Travel Skills (Land) (OEEDU1004)
- Environmental Sustainability Education (EDBED3118)
- Outdoor Living and Travel Skills (Water) (OEEDU1005)
- Journeys in Outdoor and Environmental Education (OEEDU2100)
- Outdoor Experience (OEEDU3300)
- Learning Outside the Classroom (OEEDU3700)
Ant Mangelsdorf began engaging with wild places as a secondary student while bushwalking in the (then) Wonnangatta-Moroka National Park, which developed into a lifelong passion for being outdoors and living sustainably. While pursuing ways to transform this passion into a career, Ant has worked in architecture, secondary schooling, educational and community sustainability, and now in tertiary education. Ant is a Lecturer in Outdoor Environmental and Sustainability Education at Federation University and is a PhD Candidate at La Trobe University. Ant was the Victorian Environmental and Sustainability Educator of the Year in 2014.
Areas of Expertise
Education for sustainability, outdoor environmental education, alpine environments, coastal environments, design processes, community liaison and partnerships.
Outdoor environmental education in alpine environments, rhizomatic mapping, education for sustainability, threshold concepts, safety in outdoor environments.
Refereed Journal Articles
Thomas, G., Grenon, H., Morse, M., Allen-Craig, S., Mangelsdorf, A., & Polley, S. (2019). Threshold concepts for Australian university outdoor education programs: Findings from a Delphi research study. Journal of Outdoor and Environmental Education, 22(3), 169-186.
- Australian Association of Environmental Education
- Environmental Education Victoria