The journal Before / Now is produced by volunteer postgraduate students of Federation University Australia’s Collaborative Research Centre in Australian History, (CRCAH). It promotes Australian history and allied research areas through engagement with key regional, national and international conversations.
Before / Now particularly supports the publication of emerging researchers’ work along with established historians and researchers in allied fields.
CRCAH is conceived as a research centre that provides exceptional research outcomes in Australian history and allied research areas including:
- public history
- historical archaeology
- heritage studies
- regional studies
- Indigenous studies
- Australian studies (including art history, literary and cultural studies)
- museum studies
- history of the built environment,with an emphasis on historical cultural landscapes and historic urban landscapes
- cultural heritage tourism and events
- teaching of Australian history at primary, secondary and tertiary levels
- memory studies
- engaging with key research narratives and historiographical themes in Australian history.