Qualifications delivered by enterprise
- Erica Smith and Andy Smith (Federation University Australia)
- Arlene Walker (Deakin University)
Industry partner organisations
The industry partner organisations for this project are the Enterprise Registered Training Organisation Association (ERTOA) and eight of ERTOA's member organisations:
- DP World
- NSW Rural Fire Service
- Queensland Rail
- State Transit NSW
- Uniting Community Care
- Western Health
Australian Research Council Linkage program
The aim of the project is to evaluate the benefits, challenges and outcomes for all stakeholders of the delivery of qualifications through work. This will be undertaken through a study of Enterprise Registered Training Organisations (Enterprise RTOs).
There are four research questions:
- What are the benefits and challenges for companies associated with training through their own Enterprise RTO?
- What are the benefits and challenges for workers associated with Enterprise RTOs?
- What is the equivalence of workplace-delivered qualifications among companies and with qualifications delivered in educational institutions?
- How do Enterprise RTOs help us to understand the extent and nature of an emerging, alternative employer-based Vocational Education and Training (VET) system?
The research examines the delivery of qualification through work through the lens of Enterprise Registered Training Organisations, the companies who display the most commitment to this type of training.
Increasing numbers of Australians are gaining their qualifications in this way. It is therefore important to examine the benefits, challenges and outcomes associated with such training, to allow companies and the national training system to improve systems and process, and to provide evidence for companies who may consider adoption of the practice and for policy-making.
Improvements to policy and practice in this area will benefit workers, companies and the Australian economy.
- Phase 1: Preliminary survey of all Enterprise RTOs
- Phase 2: Case studies with eight Enterprise RTOs and interviews with Registered Training Organisations delivering similar qualifications
- Phase 3: Return case studies with eight Enterprise RTOs
- Phase 4: Follow up survey with all Enterprise RTOs to test Phase 1-3 findings
- Phase 5: National and international validation, through expert seminars and visits
For further information about the research, please contact Professor Erica Smith on 03 5327 9665 or at email@example.com