Sonia Smith is a sessional academic law staff member in the Federation Business School. Sonia is admitted as a Solicitor of the High Court of Australia and of the Supreme Court of Victoria, and has worked in the public and private sector.
Sonia holds a double degree with honours, namely a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) & Bachelor of Laws, from the University of Melbourne. She also holds postgraduate qualifications, namely a Diplôme d'études Approfondies en relations internationals avec specialisation en droit international (Masters in Advanced Studies) from Geneva's Institut de Hautes Etudes Internationales et du Développement and the University of Geneva.
Sonia has completed further professional education and training at Il Centro è l'agenzia di formazione della Organizzazione Internazionale del Lavoro in Turin, Italy and at The College of Law Australia. Sonia combines an academic career with legal practical experience and has worked closely with industry, unions, governments and international organizations to achieve legal and policy milestones. Sonia has an extensive record of community involvement and board memberships including as Vice-President of the Organisation of Women in International Trade based in Geneva, Switzerland. In 2016 Sonia was nominated for a Vice-Chancellor's Citation for Contributions to Student Learning at Federation University. She has also been recently awarded a prize for her outstanding contribution to welcoming students. Sonia has an interest in CSR and is undertaking further research in this area.
- Admission as a Solicitor of the High Court of Australia
- Admission as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, The College of Law Australia, 2013
- Diplôme d'études approfondies en relations internationals (avec spécialisation en droit international), Institut de Hautes Etudes Internationales et du Développement, Universitéde Genève,Suisse, 2006
- B.Arts (Honours) and B.Laws, 2001
Professional memberships and associations
- International Law Association (Australian Branch)
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Victorian Women Lawyers
- Ballarat & District Law Association