Dr Soma Pillay
Senior Lecturer, |
Dr Soma Pillay's teaching is across undergraduate and postgraduate programs in the subject areas of organisational behaviour, HRM, IHRM, management and organisations and international management. Prior to joining academia, Soma spent many years in the public service. Her qualifications are cross-disciplinary and include public sector governance.
Soma is an active researcher within Federation Business School, Gippsland and previously Monash University and Swinburne University of Technology. Her teaching interests contribute and complement her research into issues associated cross cultural studies, ethics and public sector governance. Soma is currently Discipline Head, Management, Marketing and Tourism, Gippsland and HDR coordinator, Federation Business School, Gippsland.
- B Admin (Public Admin.)
- Honours (Public Admin.)
- M Admin
Professional memberships and associations
- African Journal of Business Management editorial board.
Grants and awards
- 2014 Research Income - Collaboration, Durban University of Technology South Africa (R19,271); Pillay, S
- 2013 Governance Matters, Monash BusEco Grant ($2500); Pillay, S
- 2012 Research Grant, Monash BusEco ($10,000); Pillay, S
- 2011 Introducing Blended Learning and Teaching Methods to extend and enrich the learning experience of management students in a cross cultural context, FBE Teaching and Learning Innovation Grant ($10,000); Pillay, S.
- 2011 Investigating drivers of ethical behaviour, potential risk areas for Department of Transport and perceptions of existing control, Industry link with the Department of Transport ($15,000); Pillay, S; Cuganesan, S.
- 2010 Cultures Consequence on Work Life Interface: A Cross Cultural Perspective, FBE-RDS Grant, ($7,500); Pillay, S., Abhayawansa, S., Kluvers, R.
- 2010 Whistle Blowing, FBE Seed Grant ($3,000); Pillay, S.
- 2008 Evidence based research to support curriculum development for Higher Education and TAFE in Accounting and Finance, AFAANZ Research Grant ($3595); Abhayansa, S., Tempone, I., Pillay, S.
- 2008 Mechanisms of Accountability in Victorian Local Government, Institute of Public Administration ($4,000); Pillay, S., Kluvers, R.
- 2014 Monash University-Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2013 Nominated as External Assessor on National Research Foundation Grant Scheme, South Africa, 2013 (equivalent to Australia's ARC)
- 2012 Monash Institute of Graduate Studies (MIGR), Level 1& 2 Accreditation.
- 2011 Swinburne Teaching Commendation -"HBH522-Managing People across Cultures". Student feedback survey results amongst the top 10 in the Faculty.
- 2011 Monash Institute of Graduate Studies (MIGR), Level 1& 2 Accreditation.
- 2010 Research Associate- Durban University of Technology, South African.
- 2014 Research Income- Collaboration Durban University of Technology, South AfricaR19,271.00Pillay, S
- 2013 Governance Matters Monash BusEco Grant$2500Pillay, S
- 2012 Research Grant Monash BusEco$10,000Pillay, S