Please note: Superseded forms will no longer be considered by the committee. Download templates from the website for each new application.
Applications submitted on superseded forms will be returned for re-submission on the current template. It is possible this may impact on your research timelines if this causes you to miss the deadline of Agenda items due.
HRE forms are regularly updated, therefore you need to always download the required document directly from this site to ensure the latest version is submitted to the committee for consideration.
Ethical risk assessment checklist
To assess the ethical risk of your human research project and determine eligibility for expedited review, please download and complete: HREC Risk Assessment Checklist (docx, 150kb)
- To apply for approval from the HREC for a project that presents more than everyday risk to participants, please download and complete: Application for HREC Approval - Standard (docx, 361kb)
- To apply for approval from the HREC for a project that presents no more than everyday risk to participants, please download and complete: Application for HREC Approval - Expedited (docx, 320kb)
- This form should be used by researchers seeking ethical approval for a cluster of human research projects, generally for class-based units. Bulk applications are considered at full committee meetings only. Application for HREC Bulk Approval - Standard (docx. 349kb)
- Each student’s project will be individually refined by completing an Amendment Request - Bulk Application form (docx. 89kb) which details the specifics of their individual project which is clearly associated with the main application.
- To apply for approval from the HREC for a project that will use only EXISTING data, please download and complete the form from the following link. For further information on existing data, databases and data-banks, please refer to the National Statement; Chapter 3.2; DATABANKS: Request for Approval to Use Existing Data (docx, 112kb)
Approved by another HREC
- HRE projects approved by another Australian HREC, are recognised by Federation University Australia HREC. These projects will be endorsed in certain circumstances, such as when a researcher is involved in a collaborative project hosted by another institution. National Statement, (Section 5.3). The HREC will also consider the approval of projects transferred from another institution by a new staff member. Contact the Ethics Office for details on how to proceed.
Plain language information statement and informed consent form
- Download Plain Language Information Statement (docx, 78kb)
- Download Informed Consent Form (docx, 68kb)
Project reporting forms
To report on:
- the annual progress of a continuing HREC-approved project, or
- the discontinuation of an HREC-approved project; or
- the completion of an HREC-approved project
To report on:
- an incident, or
- adverse event, or
- unforeseen circumstance
To request amendments to an existing HREC-approved project:
- Changes to an existing project
- Extension request to an existing project
- Change of personnel to an existing project
Declaration form for transcribers
All transcribers of taped data should complete a declaration of confidentiality prior to commencing the work.
Peer review checklist
This checklist may be useful to guide peer reviewers and authorising signatories in providing feedback to researchers regarding research design and merit of their Ethics application.
Peer reviewers and authorising signatories should be familiar with the type of research being conducted within their Faculty, but not directly involved with the research project.
If revisions are required, researchers are expected to respond to the peer reviewer’s/authorising signatories' feedback prior to submitting their application to the Ethics Office.
- Head of School, or
- Deputy Head of School, or
- ADR, or
- School Ethics Coordinator