2019 Research Training Program (RTP) scholarships
|Scholarship type||Opening date||Closing date|
|2019 RTP Stipend (Domestic)||1 Sep 2018||31 Oct 2018|
|2019 International Applicants*||N/A||N/A|
*The Research Training Program Scholarships will not be offered to International applicants for commencement in 2019.
Federation University Australia offers Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend Scholarships. These scholarships are available to:
- Australian citizens
- Permanent Humanitarian Visa holders
- Australian permanent residents
- New Zealand citizens
Application is open to both current and prospective Higher Degree by Research candidates.
The RTP scholarship provides an annual living allowance of $27,082 (2018 rate)*. This stipend is indexed annually and is a tax-free scholarship. The stipend is paid on a fortnightly basis, commencing in the 2019 academic year.
The tenure of these awards is for a period of two years for a Master by Research and three years for a doctoral candidature. Possible extension of up to six months is applicable to doctoral degree students only. The tenure of the award will be reduced by any prior studies already completed in the course prior to the award.
Please read the full Terms and conditions before applying.
Further information regarding eligibility and selection for scholarships is available on the Eligibility and selection for RTP Stipend Scholarships website.
* 2019 Stipend rate unavailable until late 2018 - please contact Research Services at that time.
How to apply for a scholarship*
Prospective candidates should indicate on the Application for Admission Form that they are applying for a RTP Stipend scholarship.
Applications should include all relevant supporting documentation and FedUni must receive completed referee report forms by the scholarship closing date, 31 October 2018. As part of their application, prospective Higher Degree by Research applicants are also required to provide:
- 250 word title and summary of intended project
- Transcripts of all tertiary level academic study
- Australian citizens must provide a copy of their birth certificate or passport
- Permanent Residents must provide a copy of their visa and passport
- List of published work with url links and/or copy of each publication
- Copies of contractual agreement with outside sponsor or institution (if applicable)
- Copy of honours or masters thesis abstract
- Evidence for Australian honours equivalency, if applicable.
- Any awards or accolades
- Any other evidence of research performance**
Current Higher Degree by Research FedUni candidates should provide the following:
- Current Candidate Scholarship Application Form
- A copy of their updated research proposal
- Any publications produced or evidence of research performance**
- Any awards or accolades
- Any other relevant information - please provide any updated or new testamurs, transcripts etc.
**Evidence to support research performance can be provided via documented publications, exhibitions, and conference presentations which comply with DEST definitions of research outputs. Additional evidence can include awards and other means of recognition by appropriate external parties of research involvement, contribution and achievement.
Eligibility and criteria for awarding of scholarships
- A scholarship applicant who is not already a Higher Degree by Research candidate at FedUni will be required to lodge a complete application for candidature before the scholarship application will be considered. This must be done by the scholarship application closing date.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide all documentation required for consideration of candidature and scholarships.
- If an applicant is completing honours, masters or another award in 2018, written notification of results must be made available by no later than Monday 12 November 2018*.
- Applicants must enrol to study in Semester 1 2019. Applicants who defer study in 2019 will be required to reapply for their scholarship.
In the selection of applicants for allocation of RTP stipend scholarships across the various Faculties/Schools, we strive to achieve a balance of gender, discipline and strategic considerations whilst ensuring that the criterion of academic merit of applicants is also addressed. In doing so RHDSC (Research by Higher Degree Sub-committee) will ensure that it operates in accord with the University's Fair and Transparent Decision-Making Guidelines.
Stipend Scholarships are normally awarded to candidates enrolled in doctoral degree programs. In some circumstances applicants seeking entry to Master by Research candidature may be awarded a stipend scholarship. The number of stipend scholarships awarded to masters applicants will be determined on an annual basis by RHDSC.
*Please note that application dates and details may change.
1. All RTP stipend scholarship applications will be assessed for eligibility for admission to candidature by Research Services.
2. If eligible for admission to candidature, applications will be ranked for stipend scholarships by the relevant School.
3. Successful stipend scholarship applicants will be notified and stipend scholarship offers issued.
4. Applicants who are ineligible for candidature because they do not meet eligibility for admission to candidature requirements will be notified.
5. Applicants who are eligible for candidature but were unsuccessful in obtaining a stipend scholarship will be notified and asked if they wish to be considered for a PhD or Master by Research candidature, supported by a RTP fee offset scholarship only.
6. Applicants who wish to be considered for a candidature supported by a RTP fee offset scholarship only will be sent to the relevant School for approval and confirmation of supervision, facilities and resources.
7. Offers of admission for applicants applying for candidature supported RTP fee offset scholarship, will be issued for those applicants who are approved by the School.
For further information on candidature, scholarships or any other matter relating to higher degrees by research, please contact:
Graduate Research School
Federation University Australia
Phone: 03 5327 9508
Fax: 03 5327 9602