How to apply
Applications by domestic applicants for a PhD or Master by Research Candidature supported by a Research Training Scheme (RTP) Tuition Fee Offset Scholarship are accepted at any time of the year.
- Familiarise yourself with the Research Priority Areas as well as the Strategic Research Directions of the faculty in which you intend to enrol, to ensure that your intended area of study can be supported with appropriate supervision and facilities.
- Check that you meet the academic entry requirements (all applicants) and the English language proficiency requirements (for international applicants).
- Identify two academic referees for your application. Note: Referee reports must be from academics who have supervised your previous research or from employers who have direct knowledge of your ability to conduct research. At least one referee report must be from your previous thesis supervisor. Referees who are the proposed supervisors from the intended school of enrolment are not acceptable as referees unless the candidate was a recent FedUni student whose research training was supervised by them. It is the applicant's responsibility to send their referees the Confidential Referee Report Form (docx, 857kb).
- Domestic applicants should complete the HDR Application for Admission Form (docx, 241kb)
- International applicants should apply using the StudyLink Connect application system here.
- Compile your evidence and supporting documentation;
- 250-word summary of intended project with title
- Academic transcripts and certificates for all undergraduate and postgraduate tertiary study previously undertaken
- Copy of your Australian honours and/or masters thesis abstract
- Statement of Australian Honours Equivalency, for applicants who are applying for entry without Australian Honours or Masters by Research qualifications or if some or all previous research was conducted as part of employment (outside of formal study). Please provide supporting documentation.
- List of published work that includes all authors, the role that the applicant played in authorship, full publication details and evidence of peer-review. Also provide a full electronic copy of each publication. For books, include full publication details, table of contents and introduction (or full copy). For conference publications, also provide details of the date/place/name/organiser of the conference.
- Evidence of any professional research experience outside of formal study and/or expertise related to the planned research (where applicable).
- English language proficiency test certificate i.e. IELTS/TOEFL (International applicants)
- Personal statement of study purpose (International applicants) - see more information below.
- Australian citizens must provide a copy of their birth certificate or passport
- Permanent residents must provide a copy of their visa and passport
- International applicants must provide a copy of their passport
- Copies of contractual agreement with outside sponsor or institution (if applicable)
- Email your completed application and documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org (please send pdf files wherever possible and ensure the file names clearly reflect the file contents).
Please note, if your application is successful all supporting evidence such as academic transcripts and passport/visa will need to be supplied in certified copies or the originals will need to be produced at the time of enrolment.
Additional requirements for international applicants
Pre-visa screening - Simplified Student Visa Framework
The following information is provided to international students to understand the pre-visa screening assessment conducted by International Admissions, Federation University Australia.
Under the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)'s Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF), education providers are required to ensure that all prospective international students are genuine students who can meet genuine temporary entrant requirements and have the financial capacity to support their study in Australia.
The University requires each international applicant to submit a detailed personal statement of study purpose with their application. This document should include:
- The reasons for choosing to undertake the course of study specified in your application
- The reasons for choosing your education provider
- The reason for choosing to study in Australia rather than in your home country
- The relevance of the course of study to your academic and/or employment background
- The relevance of the course to your future career/education plans
Questions regarding SSVF or personal statements should be directed to email@example.com.
Processing of applications
Once we have received your application, we will send an email to you acknowledging receipt of your documents. You may be contacted via email to request further evidence to support your application should it be required. We will email you at each stage of the application process to keep you updated.