Check your eligibility
Checking your eligibility is the first step in the process of applying for a world-class research degree with Federation University Australia.
You must meet the high academic and English language proficiency requirements to apply successfully for entry to one of these degrees.
- Successful completion of an undergraduate degree and subsequent additional honours degree which is graded at first class or second class (upper division) and which includes a thesis or dissertation demonstrating the ability to undertake research at a PhD level; OR
- Successful completion of a Masters by Research degree that included a dissertation, demonstrating the ability to undertake research at PhD level; OR
- Current Federation University Australia Masters by Research candidate with sufficient research capability to demonstrate PhD capacity, assessed via a formal Confirmation of Candidature process; OR
- Honours equivalence, for applicants who have completed a Master by coursework or have appropriate professional experience.
- Successful completion of an undergraduate degree and subsequent additional honours degree which is graded as at least second class and which includes a dissertation demonstrating the ability to undertake research at a Masters level; OR
- Honours equivalence, such as a combination of professional, qualifications and research experience, including Masters by coursework
- IELTS (International Language Testing System) minimum score of 6.5 with no band less than 6.0;
- TOEFL (American test of English as a Foreign Language) minimum score of 580 plus a TWE (Test of Written English) a score of 5.0;
- TOEFL computer-based minimum score of 237 plus a minimum score of 22 in writing;
- TOEFL internet-based minimum score of 92-93 plus a minimum score of 22 in writing; OR
- Under exceptional circumstances, applying for an exemption from being required to provide an IELTS or TOEFL score based on an exemption request with supporting evidence
- students who have completed at least five years’ study in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland.
- citizens and passport holders of one of the following English‑speaking countries: UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland.