Research with real-world impact
Explore a topic that interests you in depth, create new knowledge and become an expert in your field with a research higher degree (PhD or Masters) at Federation University.
Undertake an independent research project and develop critical thinking skills, enabling you to take the lead in using research to impact new discoveries.
Work with highly qualified and recognised supervisors, connect with industry, government and the community, and contribute to the global research conversation.
We accept applications for candidature year round however applications for scholarships must be received between 1 September and 31 October each year for commencement the following year.
Why choose Federation University
- Work with academic staff who consistently attract significant research funding and gain quality research outcomes.
- Professional development throughout your degree focussing on employability.
- Industry engagement through internships, scholarships, industry supervisors and collaborative projects.
Research priority areas
We focus our research within three main areas to transform lives and enhance communities.
- Mental health
- Cardiovascular medicine
- Exercise conditioning and pre-conditioning
- Digital health
- Mine rehabilitation
- Management of water resources
- Management of carbon resources
- Conservation biology
- Renewable energy
- Civil engineering
Virtual and digital environments
- Cyber security
- Machine learning
- Data federation
- Virtual reality
- Data democracy
- Image processing
Your career in research is waiting. Make your mark and learn more about how to apply for a research higher degree.