Help with referencing
FedUni uses four main styles of referencing: APA, Australian Harvard, Chicago/Turabian, and MLA.
For examples of in-text citations, footnotes, full references, and useful tips in all four styles go to our FedCite referencing tool (It is important to consult your unit description, lecturer or tutor for the preferred citation style for each subject you undertake).
Some law courses also use the Australian Guide to Legal Citation (Footnotes AGLC). For purchasing options, or to download a free PDF of the guide, go at the Melbourne Law School website.
Assistance is available for Federation staff and students with all citation and referencing queries. Contact us on Chat, call us on 1300 552 567, or submit an online enquiry to our Ask the Library page and we'll get back to you.
You can also email the Academic Skills and Knowledge (ASK) desks or speak with your lecturer or tutor.
EndNote is a desktop-based referencing and bibliography manager which is now available for staff and post-graduate researcher use.
EndNote Web is a simpler web-based version which retains the core functionality of the desktop version, but is available using a web browser. View the guide for undergraduates on establishing and using an EndNote Web account.
EndNote and EndNote Web can be used to:
- Search within databases.
- Store and organise your references.
- Create and format bibliographies choosing from 6000 referencing styles.
- Share your research.
How do I access EndNote?
EndNote Web accounts are created via the web.
Prior to installing EndNote Desktop, you must read the following agreement.
Federation University Australia Declaration for the use of EndNote Software Licence
The EndNote agreement conditions are:
- I am an enrolled student/staff member of Federation University Australia
- I understand I am downloading the EndNote software under the conditions of an agreement between Federation University Australia and Thomson Reuters Inc.
- I may only load the software onto a University-owned computer or my personal computer, for use in my learning or research studies.
- Should I cease to be a student or staff member of Federation University Australia I must immediately remove the EndNote software from my computer.
- I am aware of and understand the Regulations of Federation University Australia regarding the use of computing and communications facilities.
I declare that I have read the information and fully understand the conditions under which I may use the EndNote software licence.
Staff can install EndNote on their University-owned machine by going to Software Center and selecting EndNote.
Students and staff can install EndNote onto their personal computer by clicking on the link below for the relevant operating system and entering their FedUni username and password.Mac installer (.dmg) | Windows installer (.zip) (installation instructions)
EndNote training and support
- About EndNote
- EndNote tutorials
- EndNote web tutorials
- Swinburne University of Technology EndNote video tutorials
Introductory classes will be available from the beginning of semester. View class timetable.