Brian Hill Mining Collection
This collection of works on mining history and practice was donated to the Federation University Library by Dr. Brian R. Hill. This collection contains not only items on Australian mining history, but also an extensive range of items to do with the Californian Gold Rush, the Klondike Rush, other American mining history, and New Zealand and African mining history.
There are specific guidelines for the use of items from this collection.
- Access will be strictly limited to use within the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre;
- Rare and valuable works may be restricted for use under supervision only;
- Photocopying from the Brian Hill Mining collection is restricted to items published after 1900 which will not be likely to suffer from damage or deteriorate if copied. Please check with staff before photocopying.
Location and floor-plan
- Ask at the Information Desk, Level 0 (ground floor), Mt Helen campus (E.J. Barker) Library
View the Mt Helen Library Level 0 floor-plan (pdf, 322kb)
- Mt Helen campus map (pdf, 977kb)
Items from the Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection cannot be borrowed from the Library. Items must be used within the Blainey reading room only. To make an appointment to access Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection material please contact the Library.
Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre opening hours
The Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre can be accessed by appointment or during the following hours:
|Tuesday||9.30am – 1.00pm|
|Wednesday||1.00pm – 5.00pm|
|Thursday||1.00pm – 5.00pm|
|Friday||9.30am – 1.00pm|
All campus libraries are open throughout the year but closed on designated University and public holidays, and staff development and planning days. Opening/closing times vary depending on whether it is a semester/term period, an exam/SWOTVAC week or a non-teaching/vacation period. View the Library opening hours, or contact us.