Act of Parliament
Include the title of the legislation and the year in italics if referring to an Act in the body of the text. Otherwise, place the year and section numbers (if applicable) in brackets.
- It is necessary to also state the jurisdiction of the legislation, either in the body of the text, or enclosed in brackets e.g. (Cth) for Commonwealth, (Vic) for Victoria, (UK) for United Kingdom etc.
- Include the jurisdiction the first time the act is cited. The jurisdiction can be dropped with subsequent citations.
According to the Victorian Mental Health Act (2014, s. 29) . . .
Victoria’s Mental Health Act (2014, s. 29) states that . . .
By virtue of s. 130.1 of the Mental Health Act 2014 (Vic) . . .
Place direct quotes between double quotation marks " " and provide the title of the Act, year, jurisdiction and section number(s) (if applicable).
"A person receiving mental health services in a designated mental health service may be kept in seclusion if seclusion is necessary to prevent imminent and serious harm to the person or to another person" (Mental Health Act 2014 (Vic), s. 110).
Statute name Year (jurisdiction) s. Retrieved from URL.
Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) s 124(1)
Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth)
Goods Act 1958 (Vic)
Mental Health Act 2014 (Vic) s. 115.1. Retrieved from http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/
** Check with your teacher or lecturer to confirm their particular requirements.
- Formatting of statutes appears the same in the reference list as in your text.
- Start with the name of the statute in italics, followed by the year the statute was passed in italics. Then in brackets, state the abbreviation for the jurisdiction which passed the Act, for example, the jurisdiction of the legislation appears in brackets e.g. (Cth) for Commonwealth, or the State abbreviation. Finally the section number and subsection number if referring to a particular section of the statute. If a specific section of the legislation is used, this can be highlighted by using an s. for section.
- If the legislation is obtained from an electronic source, add a retrieval statement to the reference.