- Name both authors.
- Join authors by ‘&’ in round brackets, or ‘and’ in the sentence.
. . . identifies skills intrinsic to current nursing practitioners (Felton & Royal, 2015).
Felton and Royal (2015) argue that . .
Place direct quotes between double quotation marks " " and provide the page number(s) from the journal.
According to Felton and Royal (2015) "supporting the development of practitioners' skills within preregistration nursing education is complex" (p. 38).
Author. (Year). Article title. Journal Name, vol(issue), xx–xx. DOI or URL
Print or online with DOI
Felton, A., & Royal, J. (2015). Skills for nursing practice: Development of clinical skills in pre-registration nurse education. Nurse Education in Practice, 15(1), 38-43. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2014.11.009
- Give volume number (italics) and issue number (round brackets, no italics). No space between.
- Give page range of article if page numbers are shown (no ‘p.’ or ‘pp.’).
- DOI: Give DOI for print as well as online articles if one has been assigned.
- DOI format: The new recommended format looks like this: https://doi.org/10.1037/arc0000014
- ONLINE: Give URL only if no DOI. Introduce URL with ‘Available from’ if the article is accessible only via login or behind a paywall.