How to present an MLA Works Cited list
How to set up the list
Begin the list on a new page at the end of your work.
- Give the list the centred heading ‘Works Cited’.
- Use double line-spacing and a hanging indent (approx. 0.75 cm or 4-5 spaces).
- If a DOI or URL needs to be broken, break before a slash or punctuation mark.
What to include
Give an entry for every recoverable source you have cited in the text.
- Don’t add entries for material you have not used, however relevant.
- How to arrange the entries
- List entries alphabetically by author.
- List entries with no author by title. (Ignore ‘A’ or ‘An’ or ‘The’ as first words.)
- If you have more than one entry with same author, list alphabetically by title.
- Use a long dash (or three hyphens) to stand for repeating author’s name.
Example of an MLA works cited list
Anderson, Tania D. Panel Data: A Primer. New York, Paragon, 1985.
Barnes, Robert J. Economic analysis: An introduction. London, Butterworths, 1971.
Friend, Erwin, and Larry H. P. Lang. “An Empirical Test of the Impact of Managerial Self-Interest on Corporate Capital Structure.” Journal of Finance, vol. 43, no. 2, 1988, pp. 271-281.
Chen, Jean.J. “Determinants of Capital Structure of Swedish Companies.” Journal of Business Research, vol. 57, no. 12, 2004, pp. 1341-1351. doi: 10.1016/S0148-2963(03)00070-5
Computational Methods. Melbourne: Lansdowne, 2004.
Dorgan, Delia. Future Funds. Melbourne: Penguin, 1972.
Friedman, B. M. Corporate Capital Structure in the United States. U of Chicago P, 1985.
Hamilton, Margaret. “Postdramatic Theatre and Australia: A 'New' Theatre Discourse.” Australasian Drama Studies, no. 52, 2008, pp. 3–23. Informit, search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=791708669318288;res=IELAPA
Hillsdon, Maria. Basic Econometrics. 4th ed. Sydney: Hill, 2004.
Kjellman, Anders, and Staffan Hansen. “Determinants of Capital Structure: Theory vs Practice.” Scandinavian Journal of Management, vol. 11, no. 2, 1995, pp. 91-102, doi: 10.1016/0956-5221(95)00004-F.
Keen, Rex P. Strategy, Structure and Economic Performance. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2004.
Lee, Bung L. Credit Risk and High Yield Bonds. New York: Wiley, 1982.
Oakes, Jeffrey D., Wing. T. Woo, Samual. Fisher, and Garry. Hughes. “Structural Factors in Economic Reforms in Sweden.” Economic Policy, vol. 9, no. 18, 1994. pp. 101-145.
Statistical Analysis Primer. Melbourne: Lansdowne, 2002.