CHICAGO & TURABIAN
Private lives is a great comedy set in the 1930s ...1
Place direct quotes between double quotation marks " " and provide a timestamp to indicate the exact starting point of the quote.
"I think very few people are completely normal really, deep down in their private lives."5
1. Private Lives, by Noel Coward, directed by Sam Strong, Melbourne Theatre Company, Southbank Theatre, Melbourne, January 30, 2014.
2. Nice Work If You Can Get It, by Joe DiPietro, music by George and Ira Gershwin, directed by Annette Zol, Broadford Amateur Theatrical Society, Broadford Shire Hall, June 10, 2016.
3. Glenda Harris (violin) and Kurt Hegelmann (piano), Helen MacPherson Theatre, Ballarat, April 21, 2014.
4. Jerry Seinfeld, I’m Telling You for the Last Time: Live on Broadway. Recorded Broadhurst Theatre, New York City, August 9, 1998 (Los Angeles: Universal, 1998), CD.
5. Private Lives, 00:30:12.
6. Nice Work.
7. Harris and Hegelmann.
8. Seinfeld, I’m Telling You.
Harris, Glenda (violin), and Kurt Hegelmann (piano). Helen MacPherson Theatre, Ballarat, April 21, 2014.
Nice Work If You Can Get It. By Joe DiPietro. Music by George and Ira Gershwin. Directed by Annette Zol. Broadford Amateur Theatrical Society. Shire Hall, Broadford, June 10, 2016.
Private Lives. By Noel Coward. Directed by Sam Strong. Melbourne Theatre Company. Southbank Theatre, Melbourne, January 30, 2014.
Seinfeld, Jerry. I’m Telling You for the Last Time: Live on Broadway. Recorded, Broadhurst Theatre, New York City, August 9, 1998. Los Angeles: Universal, 1998. CD.
Live performances are not normally included in the bibliography, and you can also do without a note by weaving the identifying details into your writing. However, different units will have different requirements, so seek your teacher’s or lecturer’s advice on their preference for citing such sources.
- Begin with title (italics), or if the performance is untitled or is focused on individual performance, give performer/s name at the beginning.
- Add names of major contributors (writers, composers, directors, etc.) and performance group.
- Give the venue and date of the performance, if these details are known.
- If accessing a recording, treat according to relevant category above and add the form of recording.
- If accessing online, add access date and URL.