Critical incident 18/10/21
Berwick campus is closed under current Victorian Government lockdown restrictions. Click here for more information.

Using copyright material outside FedUni

Both staff and students need to be aware that they cannot rely on the educational use statutory licence (s.113P) or the Fair Dealing exceptions (Fair Dealing for Research  and Study) to use third party copyright material if they intend to use it outside of FedUni in a non-educational context.

What are some examples of non-educational use?

  • Presenting material at a conference
  • Delivering a lecture open to the public
  • Publishing material in a book/journal/magazine
  • Making material available on a publicly accessible website (e.g. YouTube or a blog). This includes assessment tasks.
  • Creating/delivering a commercial training course
  • Entering material into a film festival
  • Displaying material in a gallery
  • Using material in your ePortfolio

How can I use third party copyright material in these situations?

There are several options available:

  • Seek permission from the copyright owner for the anticipated use
  • Remove the material completely
  • Replace the material with material available under a suitable licence (e.g. replace images with images available under a Creative Commons licence)

There are tips on obtaining permission available here on the permissions page.

For further information contact the Copyright Office.