Critical incident 25/09/21
Berwick campus is closed under current Victorian Government lockdown restrictions. Click here for more information.

Music licence

Music is covered by copyright, and the right to copy, communicate, or publicly perform or play music requires consideration of licencing the University holds under the Tertiary Music Licence.

Staff and students can perform, copy or communicate a majority of copyright musical works and sound recordings for educational purposes and for university events*.

Tertiary Music Licence

The Tertiary Music Licence is a commercial licence granted by APRA, AMCOS, PPCA, and ARIA to the Universities under University Australia auspices. It provides for the use of music across University spaces, events, and online. Rights in music can be complex, for advice contact Copyright Services.

See a guide for the Tertiary Music Licence from Universities Australia

Performance Rights

The University is permitted to Perform APRA Works and PPCA Sound Recordings:

  • At free University Events;
  • For Educational Purposes;
  • Play music for the benefit of employees (in staff rooms, staff tea rooms and at staff-only events such as Christmas parties).
Reproduction and Communication Rights

The University is permitted to Reproduce and Communicate Works:

  • Play AMCOS Works and ARIA Sound Recordings at University Events;
  • Play AMCOS Works and ARIA Sound Recordings for use in a course of instruction;
  • Play AMCOS Works and PPCA Sound Recordings as music on hold;
  • Make audio and audio-visual recordings of free University Events where music is performed or played;
  • Make those recordings available for sale in a physical format for University Purposes;
  • Make audio and audio-visual recordings of AMCOS Works and ARIA Sound Recordings for Educational Purposes;
  • Synchronise AMCOS Works and ARIA Sound Recordings with visual recordings made of University Events or in the course of instruction; and
  • Store licenced recordings on a password protected University Platform (such as a learning management system) or in a physical format and allow access for University Purposes.

The licence does not cover the copying of music videos.

Notice and labelling requirements

When copying sound recordings include labelling attached containing full details of the title, composer, lyricist, arranger, artist/group and record company.

Licence Survey

Sound recordings made available from a "central unit" under the licence must be reported annually. A central unit is defined as an area of the university (such as a department) which provides a resource or facility for the electronic copying, storage or communication of a sound recording in reliance on the music licence for the University. To nominate an area as a central unit please contact the Copyright Office.


*Educational purposes - means "in connection with a particular course of instruction or course of study and/ or research" of the university. Commercial activities, including commercial research are not within the ambit of the licence.

*University event is "an event organised or authorised" by the university and held at the university (or another venue), which includes live musical performances by students or staff.  Events organised by a 3rd party (eg a promoter) and occurring on University grounds are not covered by the Licence and  require a separate licence from OneMusic.