Accepted your offer already?

We're so glad you chose Federation University - what now?

Orientation could be several months away, so what do you need to know in the meantime? Some of this info is specific to International students, and some is relevant to anyone.

1. Apply for your Visa immediately

If you're an international student, don't delay your visa application, no matter how long it is until orientation. You can apply online through the Australian Home Affairs website, and everything you need to know about the visa is on the Department of Home Affairs website. Remember, to apply for your visa, you will need your CoE, evidence of your OSHC, identity documents, evidence of your English language level and more.

2. Book your flights

We would strongly recommend you don't do this prior to getting visa approval, as getting refunds from airlines can be difficult. When you've got your visa, we advise you to arrive in Australia around 1 week prior to orientation. This gives you the chance to get over jet lag, find somewhere to live and start to explore your new home. If you're studying in Ballarat we even run a local tour the week before orientation to help you get settled. When booking flights, also bear in mind FedUni's free Airport Transfer Service - arranging to arrive in time to take advantage of this could save you at least $200 in travel and accommodation on arrival.

Try to arrive within normal business hours if you can (Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm) - it may cost you a little more, but it will save you a lot of time and hassle when you get here.

3. Start to budget

Here's our guide to how much it might cost to live while you study. If you're living in Melbourne or other big city, Insider Guides has a great cost of living calculator so you can work out exactly what your weekly spend will be:

CampusShared accommodation Per weekUtilities: (electricity, gas) Per weekFood: based on cooking own food Per weekInternet/phone Per week
Ballarat/GippslandAUS $80 - $150AUD $25 - $40AUD $50 - $100AUD $20 - $30
Melbourne (averaged)AUD $175 - $360AUD $65 - $100AUD $50 - $100AUD $20 - $30

4. Check out your new home

Take a look at your new campus, including a campus map and instructions on how to get there by viewing our campuses.

You can also see what our regions have to offer you by visiting their respective tourist guides:

5. Start getting to know the rules

Whether you're coming to Uni straight from High School, are moving interstate or are travelling from overseas, things may be a little different to what you're used to - make sure you familiarise yourself with the rules and regulations:
Academic requirements and plagiarism. Once you're enrolled, check out our free Academic Integrity Moodle Course
Renting a Home (pdf, 1.4MB)
Important laws and Road Rules
Discrimination and Harassment

6. Check out your housing options

Whether you prefer to live on-campus, or in a private rental, our Guide to Finding Accommodation (pdf, 204kb) is an essential read. We strongly recommend that you plan to live close to the campus you're studying at as you may be required to attend class up to 5 days per week (depending on your course). Please be aware of the time it takes to get from Melbourne CBD to our campuses (these are minimum times - use your Map App to work out exact times):

CampusTravel time by carTravel time by Public Transport
Mt Helen1h151h45

7. If you're bringing children, think about School

Did you know that if you bring school-age children with you to Australia as dependents it is compulsory that they enrolled full time at school?

Tuition fees are the same for all government schools in Victoria. Fee exemptions may apply if you are an HDR student, or receiving a fully funded scholarship from the Australian Government. Fee discounts are available for children whose parents are studying at a Victorian University or TAFE, but private schools choose their own fee structure.

For more information about enrolling your child in a government school, please visit Study in Victoria. If you are interested in private schools, please visit Independent Schools Victoria for school listings. If you have any questions regarding your child's schooling in Australia, please contact

Questions about getting organised?

For questions about your CoE, Visa or OSHC contact International Admissions:

For everything else, contact International student support: