Global Professional School

How to apply for Study Abroad and Exchange

Before you apply

Consider your options

Communicate with your home institution and choose your study area and decide which subjects you wish to study at Federation University.

Be Nominated from your home University

Each applicant should be nominated from their home university using the Federation University International Student Exchange Nomination Form or the home University equivalent.

Submit your application online

Once the nomination is accepted, students will be invited to submit an application through StudyLink portal.

When applying through the StudyLink portal, please select the appropriate Exchange or Study Abroad option (not a Bachelor or Master’s degree)

Students will be asked to upload the following certified documents(an explanation of what certified documentation can be found at  How can I certify documents?)

*Students are asked to provide us with a list of at least six (6) courses they might like to study in the relevant semester. Whilst the regular course load is 4 courses (60 credit points) per semester, we ask for a list of 6 courses to give you some more options in case the courses are not on offer due to things like timetable clashes or if you don’t meet the pre-requisite requirements.

If you are a Study Abroad student (eg if you are coming from an institution that does not have an exchange agreement with Federation University) you are welcome to email the Study Abroad Office where we will answer your questions and advise you how to apply.

Applications for Semester 1 (February/March to June) close on 1 November the previous year.

Applications for Semester 2 (July to November) close on 1 May.

After you apply

The Study Abroad team will ensure all the required documents have been received and will send them to the relevant School for assessment. If any further supporting documents are required, the Study Abroad team will contact you directly.


The School will notify the Study Abroad team of the application outcome. The Study Abroad team will prepare an outcome letter (Letter of Offer) and send it to the student and the exchange partner.


The Exchange partner or student will student will send the signed Letter of Offer as an acceptance of offer letter, along with proof of the required payment of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), to the Student Mobility Office at

Study Abroad students will also need to provide proof of payment for tuition fees

If you would like to arrange OSHC on your own, you will need to provide proof of your OSHC membership to the Study Abroad team, so they can ensure that it meets Department of Home Affairs requirements.

After the Study Abroad team confirm all documents and funds have been received, they will issue an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) letter and arrange Overseas Student Health Cover (if required) and send them to you.

Arrival and enrolment

Exchange and Study Abroad students will need to apply for a student visa to study at Federation University. Please refer to the Home Affairs website for visa application requirements

Once you arrive in Australia, you will attend the orientation program organised by the International student advisory team, which will help you get familiar with the campus and the resources available to you. You will also be enrolled into the subjects you've selected as part of orientation.

Completion of studies

At the end of the semester, we will send a copy of your academic transcript to your home institution.

Important information - OSHC

If you are a student from overseas on a temporary student visa it is a condition of your visa to maintain adequate health insurance for the duration of your stay in Australia. This means you need to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and keep your policy up to date whilst you are in Australia and holding a student visa.

Federation University can arranged cover for students at a cost. Alternatively, students can arrange their own OSHC. Please be aware that only some selected providers offer OSHC and you will be required to provide proof to Immigration when applying for a student VISA..

If you are from Norway, Sweden or Belgium, you may not require Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). More information can be found on the Australian Government Health website

Important information - Immigration

It is the responsibility of the student to arrange for their own Student Visa to Australia. While the Federation University Student Mobility Office will assist in providing relevant documentation to the student in order to apply for such a visa; we cannot act on a student’s behalf in the application of a visa.

Information about student Visas may be found at the Australian Government, Department of Home Affairs Student visa website.

Under the Australian Government Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000, (or ESOS Act), international students on a student visa are responsible for upholding the conditions on that student visa.