How to apply for Study Abroad and Exchange

Before you apply

Consider your options

Communicate with your home institution and choose your study area and decide which subjects you wish to study at FedUni.

Prepare your documents

Submit your application

Apply to FedUni

If you are an Exchange Student, you should submit your application to your home institution. They will assist with preparing your application, and assess whether they are willing to nominate you for exchange.

If you are a Study Abroad student (eg if you are coming from an institution that does not have an exchange agreement with FedUni) you are welcome to email your application directly to FedUni

Applications for Semester 1 (February/March to June) close on the 1st of November the previous year

Applications for Semester 2 (July to November) close on the 1st of May

After you apply

Application processed

The Study Abroad team will ensure all the required documents have been received, and will send them to the relevant Faculty for assessment. If any further supporting documents are required, the Study Abroad team will contact you directly.


The Faculty will notify the Study Abroad team of the application outcome. The Study Abroad team will prepare an outcome letter, and send it to the exchange partner or student.


The exchange partner or student will student will send the signed acceptance of offer letter, along with proof of the required payment of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), to the Study Abroad team. Study Abroad students will also need to provide proof of payment for tuition fees

If you would like to arrange OSHC on your own, you will need to provide proof of your OSHC membership to the Study Abroad team, so they can ensure that it meets Department of Home Affairs requirements.

After the Study Abroad team confirm all documents and funds have been received, they will issue the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) letter and arrange Overseas Student Health Cover (if required), and send them to you.

Arrival and enrolment

Exchange and Study Abroad students will need to apply for a student visa to study at FedUni. Please refer to the Home Affairs website for visa application requirements

Once you arrive in Australia, you will attend the orientation program organised by the International Student Support team, which will help you get familiar with the campus and the resources available to you. You will also be enrolled into the subjects you've selected as part of orientation.

Completion of studies

At the end of the semester, FedUni will send a copy of your academic transcript to your home institution.