Siesmaa, Dr Emma
Phone: (03) 53279066
Discipline: Exercise and Sport Sciences
- PhD, University of Ballarat
- B Ed (P.E.) (Hons), University of Ballarat
- Anatomical Bases of Human Movement
- Functional Anatomy
- Injury Prevention and Risk Management
- Accredited Exercise Scientist - Exercise and Sport Science Australia (ESSA)
- Sports Medicine Australia (SMA)
- Australian Injury Prevention Network (AIPN)
- International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry (ISAK)
- Children's participation in organised sport and child sport drop-out
- Injury prevention in children's sport
- Snow sports injury and injury prevention
- Injury risk perceptions in organised sport
- Injury epidemiology
Grants and awards
- 2009, NSW Sporting Injuries Committee Award for Best New Investigator
- 2008, Sport and Recreation Victoria (SRV) – The Natural History of Children's Participation in Formal (Out-of School) Sport Study - $48, 900
- 2017, Federation University Australia Seeding Grant – Attitudes of Alpine Skiers and Snowboarders Towards Helmet Use in Preventing Head Injury at Victorian Snow Resorts - $5000.
Siesmaa, E.J., Clapperton, A.J. & Twomey, D. (2018). Hospital-treated snow sport injury in Victoria, Australia: A summary of 2003-2012. Wilderness and Environmental Medicine, 29, 194-202.
Talpey, S.W. & Siesmaa, E.J. (2017). Sports injury prevention: The role of the strength and conditioning coach. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 39(3), 14-19.
Talpey, S.W., Siesmaa, E.J., White, P., & Finch, C.F. (2015). Weekly training and competitive load of junior level community cricket players. Journal of Postgraduate Medicine, Education and Research, 49(4), 164-167.
Siesmaa, E.J., Blitvich, J.D. and Finch, C.F. (2011). A systematic review of the factors which are most influential in children's decisions to drop out of organised sport. In A.D. Farelli (Ed.), Sport Participation: Health Benefits, Injuries, and Psychological Effects (pp. 1–45). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
Siesmaa, E.J., Blitvich, J.D., Telford, A. and Finch, C.F. (2011). Factors that are most influential in children's continued and discontinued participation in organised sport: The role of injury and injury risk perceptions. In A.D. Farelli (Ed.), Sport Participation: Health Benefits, Injuries, and Psychological Effects (pp. 47–84). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
Siesmaa, E.J., Blitvich, J.D., White, P.E. and Finch, C.F. (2011). Measuring children's sport participation, risk perceptions and injury history: Development and validation of a survey instrument. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 14 (1), 22–26.
White, P.E., Finch, C.F., Dennis, R. and Siesmaa, E. (2011). Understanding perceptions of injury risk associated with playing junior cricket. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 14 (2), 115–120.
Campbell, C., Smith, E. and Siesmaa, E. (2011). The educative role of the newspaper: Learning to be drier. Australian Journal of Adult Learning, 51 (2), 1–12.
Finch, C., Siesmaa, E., Blitvich, J., White, P. and Telford, A. (2009). The Sporting Kids Injury and Drop Out (SKIDO) Study. University of Ballarat, April 2009. Report prepared for Sport and Recreation Victoria.