Tertiary Access Payment
Accessing opportunities for regional commencing students
In 2021, the Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) will be introduced as a $5000 payment to school-leavers from outer regional or remote areas who relocate to undertake full-time, higher-level tertiary education.
The TAP is a government funded Job-Ready Graduate Package, aimed to assist students with additional costs often associated with the transition to higher education, such as relocation costs, travel, accommodation, or textbooks.
Eligibility for the TAP
You are eligible if you are:
- From an outer regional, remote or very remote area - check your eligibility
- Relocating to study at an institution at least 90 minutes by public transport away from home
- Enrolling in a Certificate IV or higher qualification with a duration of 12 months or more
- Enrolled in full-time study load (75% minimum) over 12 months
- Looking to access TAP immediately after completing year 12 or equivalent
The TAP is means-tested - a parental income threshold of $250,000 applies.
What can the money be used for?
The TAP may be used to cover any costs associated with commencing study such as:
- Travel expenses
Applications for TAP must be submitted online using the appropriate link below.
- University (Higher education) programs - TAP online application form
- VET programs - TAP online application form
The TAP will be made in two installments – one at the beginning of the year to assist with upfront costs, and another installment toward the end of the first year.
Note: the TAP will only be available in your first year of study and will not carry on to subsequent years.
If you have any questions about commencing at Federation or what to expect at university in 2021? Or are you looking to prepare for the upcoming Change of Preference period?