Apply to study at Federation

How to apply

VTAC applicants/ Undergraduate

Year 12 students

You are considered a current year 12 student if you are:

  • a VCE student
  • an interstate VCE student
  • a New Zealand applicant
  • an International Baccalaureate student

All Year 12 students must apply via VTAC.

Please go to our Apply through VTAC page for further information.

Non-Year 12 applicants

You are considered a non-Year 12 applicants if you:

  • are a TAFE, VET and/or higher education graduate
  • are a private provider student
  • have current or previous work experience
  • are undertaking a 'gap year'
  • are currently a university student
  • are a mature age applicant

If you wish to apply for more than one course it is best that you Apply through VTAC.

Apply direct to FedUni

If you are a non-year 12 applicant and only wish to apply for one course you can Apply direct to FedUni.


By coursework

Please go to our Apply direct page for further information.

By research

Applications for postgraduate by research scholarships must be received by 31 October each year for commencement the following year.

For further information on how to apply please go to our Research degrees application page.


Application availability

  • Offshore applications (or onshore where the student does not hold a student visa) typically close five weeks before the semester commencement date.
  • Onshore applications (for students who can commence on an existing student visa) close approximately two weeks before the semester commencement date.
  • Specific dates, including application, pre-visa screening and offer acceptance are available on our Cut-off dates page

Further information


Applicants interested in applying for our TAFE courses should visit our TAFE applications page.

Short courses

Our short courses require the completion of customised application forms. 
Visit the Short courses section of our Course Finder for further information.

Credit for previous studies

Use our Credit search tool to determine whether you might be eligible for credit.

Alternative entry

We have a number of alternative entry options which can help you to improve your higher education and/or TAFE prospects with us. We also have other courses to help you gain skills for entry into the workforce.

For further information please go to our Pathways page