Australia Awards are offered for the minimum period necessary for recipients to complete the academic program specified by the institution, including any preparatory training.
The following benefits generally apply:
- Full tuition fees.
- Return air travel - payment of single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia.
- Establishment allowance - a once only payment of A$5,000 as a contribution towards accommodation expenses, text books, study materials.
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) - a fortnightly contribution to basic living expenses paid at a rate determined by DFAT.
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP) - a compulsory 4-6 week program prior to commencing formal academic studies, covering information on life and study in Australia.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only) -provided to cover basic medical costs (with the exception of pre-existing conditions).
- Pre-course English (PCE) fees—if deemed necessary PCE may be available for students for in-country and/or in-Australia training.
- Supplementary Academic Support may be available to ensure a Scholar's academic success or enhance their academic experience.
- Fieldwork (research students only) - One return economy class airfare - may be available for research students via the most direct route to their country of citizenship or within Australia.