Whether you are coming from high school, TAFE, the workforce or another path, the change to university life can be challenging. To support you in your transition to your undergraduate program at university, you will be connected with a Mentor who is in the second or third year of your School. Mentors provide first-hand support to new students in the first five weeks of their study, when it matters most.
Commencing your studies in semester 1, 2021? Mentors are available online
Your mentor will be available to support you via text, phone, email and online group meetings through ‘Microsoft Teams’.
- Your mentor can answer any questions you have about your studies, will help connect you to other students in your course and will be present during online orientation activities to help you learn the ropes.
- Your mentor will get into contact with you once you have completed your enrolment, or email us at email@example.com and we can help connect you to your mentor sooner.
What does a mentor do?
Each Mentor is assigned a group of first-year students from within their school. During the first five weeks of semester, Mentors organise weekly meetings with this small group. Meetings can include activities and discussion of issues such as academic requirements, finding support on campus and navigating university systems like Moodle. Mentors are also available to respond to text, email and phone enquiries.
- provide access to a student network in your School
- introduces you to the student support structures at university, and
- helps you to understand the lingo and academic expectations.
More broadly, the mentor program...
- creates awareness of transition issues experienced in the first year at university
- provides a framework for constructive interaction between new students, mentors and staff, and
- enables new students to embrace the challenges and opportunities that university offers.
When will I meet my mentor?
Orientation Week is a very important time for first-year students because it provides a head-start in knowing what to expect in your program. You will meet your Mentor during this week. If you miss orientation you can meet your Mentor in the first week. You will receive an email or text from your mentor after you complete your enrolment. If you are having trouble getting in to contact with your Mentor, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact the Student Academic and Study Support team
If you would like more information, or are unsure who your mentor is, please feel free to email us at email@example.com or call us on 5327 6997.