Eligible students who do not wish to pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) upfront can request Commonwealth assistance and defer the fee through an element of the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) known as SA-HELP. Eligible students can choose to pay some of the fee upfront and obtain an SA-HELP loan for the remainder or obtain a loan for the full amount of the fee.

You can take out a SA‑HELP loan even if you do not wish to take out any other HELP loan. If you use SA‑HELP, the loan amount will be added to your accumulated HELP debt.


To be eligible for a SA‑HELP loan, you need to:

  • be an Australian citizen or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa who is residing in Australia;
  • be a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the long-term residency requirements;
  • be enrolled in an eligible course of study with a higher education provider;
  • meet the tax file number (TFN) requirements (if your information is not assessed as correct by the ATO, your application will not be finalised and you will be ineligible for a SA-HELP loan); and
  • complete the online SA-HELP request form by the applicable census date

For more information regarding SA-HELP including eligibility and residency requirements please read the SA-HELP Information booklet, available on the Study Assist publications page.

Applying for SA-HELP

To apply for SA-HELP you must complete an online Request for SA‑HELP assistance form (eCAF) by the due date of the SSAF that you are wanting to defer. If your form is not submitted by the SSAF due date you will not be entitled to a SA‑HELP loan for that semester.

  • Log in to my Student Centre
  • Select the Campus Finances tile
  • Select Commonwealth Requirements
  • Select SA-HELP Summary
  • Select Submit to open your incomplete form
  • Follow the prompts, answer all questions and provide your Tax File Number (TFN)
  • Click Submit Form to complete your SA-HELP application

You will only be required to apply for SA‑HELP assistance once for your program of study. If you change programs you must complete a new online SA‑HELP form via my Student Centre.

You will be issued with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) for each enrolled semester.  This will detail any SSAF amount which has deferred via SA-HELP to the ATO.