Job-ready Graduates Package

The Australian Government's Job-ready Graduates Package introduced new funding regulations with additional eligibility conditions for students undertaking studies in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) and accessing HELP assistance.

How does it affect you?

If you've started a new program after 1 January 2022 and are enrolled in a CSP or have a HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP loan the legislative changes will affect you. There are conditions you must meet to maintain your eligibility for Commonwealth assistance which include:

  • completion rate requirement (Low Completion Rate must remain under 50%)
  • Student Learning Entitlement (SLE) of seven years
  • requirement that you be a ‘genuine student’ engaged in your studies

These requirements do not apply to research or fee-paying international students.

What is a Low Completion Rate and how is it calculated?

A low completion rate is when you have not successfully completed more than 50% of the courses you have attempted, after you have attempted 8 or more course in a bachelor level or higher degree (or 4 or more units in a higher education program lower than a bachelor degree).

If you do not meet the completion rate requirement your Commonwealth assistance will be withdrawn until the conditions are fulfilled, for example your Low Completion Rate returns below 50%.

Find out more about the Low Completion Rate here.

Use your unofficial transcript and this table to understand how the Low Completion Rate defines your courses. Any course that appears on your transcript, even those you withdraw from after the census date (W & LW grades), will be counted as attempted.

HD, D, C, P, S or TCAttemptedSuccessfully completed
MF, F, XF, UN, W or LWAttemptedNot successfully completed
AD, TD, ZN or ONot attempted Neither (final grade pending)

You can view the grade descriptions here.

You can find your unofficial transcript by logging into myStudentCentre and clicking the Academic Records tile. Click View Unofficial Transcript and then Submit.

Calculating your Low Completion Rate

Use the calculator below to work out your Low Completion Rate.

Calculate Low Completion Rate

Fill in the fields below to calculate your low completion rate.

The Low Completion Rate % formula  is: Total number of not successfully completed courses*  ÷ Total number of attempted courses x 100

* does not include any not successfully completed courses exempted due to approved special circumstances

What do you need to do about your completion rate?

It’s important to monitor your completion rate throughout your program to ensure it doesn't become too low. We will also write to you if your academic results indicate that your academic progress is unsatisfactory with advice on what action you need to take.

We encourage you to seek additional advice from us if your Low Completion Rate has risen, or is at risk of rising, above 50%. We can help support and guide you through your options.

Percentage of not successfully completed courses

What this means and what you need to do next

Above 50%You will no longer receive government funding for your program. Please make an appointment with us as soon as possible so that we can talk you through your options. Also read the information on this page.
50%You will continue receiving government funding at the moment. But please make an appointment with us as soon as possible so that we can discuss strategies to help prevent your Low Completion Rate from rising above 50%. Also read the information on this page to improve your completion rate.
50-40%You will continue receiving government funding at the moment but your completion rate is close to the cut-off point. We encourage you to make an appointment with us as soon as possible so that we can discuss strategies to help prevent your low completion rate from rising above 50%. Also read the information on this page to improve your completion rate.
40 – 25%You will continue receiving government funding at the moment but please continue monitoring your completion rate, make your course selections carefully and read the suggestions on this page for improving your completion rate.
25% or belowKeep up the good work and continue monitoring your completion rate.

What are your options if your Low Completion Rate is above 50%?

If you have not successfully completed more than 50%, you will lose your Commonwealth Assistance. Your options then are as follows:

  • Continuing your program in a Full Fee-Paying Place and paying the fees upfront yourself.
  • Transferring to a new program with Federation University. If you change to a different program, your previous completion rate will not carry over and you will be able to access Commonwealth assistance for your new program. When transferring to a new program, your application will be assessed on whether you are academically suited.
  • Apply for Low Completion Rate consideration due to Special Circumstances. If special circumstances prevented you from withdrawing before census date or contributed to your incomplete grades. If successful, these courses would be excluded when calculating your low completion rate and would not count as not successfully completed.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Low Completion Rate requirement apply to you?

If you started your program during or after 2022 (including deferring an earlier offer to start in 2022), yes, you must meet the completion rate required to maintain your CSP and/or HELP loan.

This means that you must complete 50 per cent or more of your courses once you have attempted eight courses (for a Bachelor degree or higher) or four courses (for a sub-Bachelor program).

If your Low Completion Rate rises above 50% your CSP/HELP funding will be withdrawn for your current program.

When is your Low Completion Rate calculated?

Your Low Completion Rate is first calculated:

  • After attempting and receiving results for eight or more courses for Bachelor level or higher students
  • After attempting and receiving results for four or more courses for students in the Foundation Access Studies (FAST) program, a diploma, an enabling program, or other programs lower than a Bachelor level.

For the purposes of measuring your eligibility for your CSP/HELP loan, your completion rate is recalculated on Census Date each semester. Your completion rate looks at all courses listed on your transcript (attempted courses), and the corresponding results (which are counted as successfully complete or not successfully complete), as they appear on Census Date.

It is important to check your completion rate after results are released, or after a deferred grade is finalised so that you know your eligibility status.

Why is census date important?

Census Date is the last day you can withdraw from a course without it affecting your completion rate, SLE or incurring fees for the course. Every course you are enrolled in on the Census Date will count as Attempted for the purpose of calculating your completion rate and Student Learning Entitlement. You can find the Census Date for your semester here.

When can you apply for a Low Completion Rate Review?

If you believe that there are special circumstances that have impacted your courses being classified as incomplete, for example, if your circumstances prevented you from withdrawing before the census date or contributed to incomplete grades, you may apply for a review.

If successful, these incomplete courses would be excluded when calculating your completion rate and would count as neither complete nor incomplete.

Apply for a Low Completion Rate Review and share as many details and documents as relevant to demonstrate any impacts on your study.

This may include:

  • GP certificate/s
  • Financial hardship
  • Mental health or disability information
  • Personal circumstances or carers responsibilities
  • Statutory Declaration

When completing your application, you will be asked for the course code and name of each course you would like reviewed.

How does the Student Learning Entitlement (SLE) affect you?

From 1 January 2022, you are entitled to study in a CSP for seven years (7 EFTSL) or part-time equivalent with any higher education provider. If you use up your entitlement, you will usually need to transfer to a full-fee paying place. All courses that count as Attempted for the purpose of your completion rate in the table above, also count towards your total Student Learning Entitlement. There are some situations where you can access additional SLE. Find out more about how the SLE works.

Can I get my CSP/HELP loan back?

You can get your Commonwealth Assistance back once your completion rate is 50% or lower. In the meantime, you will need to pay for future courses upfront.

What can you do to improve your completion rate?

Your completion rate will improve the more courses you pass! If you’re not on track to meet the completion rate or it’s already close to 50%, there are a number of strategies to consider such as:

Can changing my study load help my completion rate?

Reducing your study load to focus your efforts on a smaller number of courses can be a good option as every course you pass increases your completion rate.

Reducing your study load can be beneficial academically and personally if you have found the demands of full-time study a challenge. This allows you to focus your efforts on a smaller number of courses and gives you time for things outside of studies, such as work, family responsibilities and personal activities. Increasing your completion rate by focusing on fewer courses at a time improves your chances of keeping Commonwealth Support for your studies. It may also delay the assessment of your CSP/HELP eligibility, giving you extra time until you have attempted eight courses(or four for diploma, FAST and enabling programs).

You can use our calculator above to check how attempting different study loads will impact your completion rate.

If you also receive Centrelink benefits it’s important to understand how changing from full-time to part-time study impacts your benefits.

Read more about reducing your study load.

What can you do if you think you may fail a course?

During Semester, we recommend you look at the suggestions above for improving your study skills.

If your studies are being affected by a situation beyond your control, you can also apply for special consideration during Semester. If you are eligible, you may be granted an extension for an assessment, a change to your attendance requirements or a deferred examination.

Can you withdraw from courses you think you may fail?

Census Date is the last day you can change the courses you’ve enrolled in without it affecting your completion rate, SLE or incurring fees. You can find the Census Date for your semester here.

If you withdraw from a course after Census Date, you will incur fees for the course and you will receive either a Withdrawal (W) or Late Withdrawal (LW) grade. A W or LW grade will count as an attempted and incomplete course and lower your completion rate.

What if you have failed a course and you don’t agree with the grade?

If you have failed a course and you don’t agree with the grade, you can appeal but must do so within certain time limits.

How does repeating a course impact my completion rate?

If you repeat a failed course, each time you take the course is counted as another attempt.

Does my completion rate impact future applications?

No, your completion rate calculation applies only to your current program and does not transfer with you to other programs or applications for the purposes of CSP/HELP eligibility. Instead, each application or transfer will be assessed on the entry requirements of the program and academic suitability.

All attempted courses, regardless of your completion rate, will count towards your Student Learning Entitlement.

How do you prove you are a genuine student for the purpose of JRGP?

You don’t need to do anything ‘extra’ to prove you are a genuine student – just engage in your studies. We will take the following into account when assessing whether you are a genuine student:

  • How often you log into our Learning Management System (Moodle)
  • How actively you participate in classes
  • Whether you complete your assignments
  • Whether the contact information you have given us is correct

What if you’re an international student or not using FEE-HELP?

Yes, the low completion rate can still impact you. If you’re an international student in the process of gaining Australian residency, you will become a domestic student once residency is approved. The University will then assess whether a CSP is available and if your completion rate would permit you holding one.

Alternatively, if you are a domestic student enrolled in a domestic full fee-paying place and usually pay your fees upfront, you won’t be able to access FEE-HELP for future semesters if you have a low completion rate.