Support for care leavers

We offer a range of support for care leavers (students who spent time growing up in out-of-home care; including foster care, residential care, kinship care and wards of the State).

Play Advice from care leavers video
Read Advice for care leavers video transcript

Our commitment

Making the transition into higher education can be an exciting and overwhelming time, particularly for those students who have smaller networks of support. As an open access university, FedUni is committed to working with and supporting care leavers entering higher education and TAFE. We understand that students transitioning from care in to education often face unique challenges and we are dedicated to providing the support necessary to ensure your academic success.

Financial support


We currently offer four Foundation scholarships for care leavers. This scholarship is open to all Australian students who have been in care or a state ward for at least 12 months or more.

How to apply

  • Complete a KickStart registration;
  • Complete the Foundation Additional Information Sheet; and
  • Scan and attach your two written references to the Foundation Additional Information Sheet by the closing date. Written references should be from people (outside of your family) who can comment with knowledge about your circumstances, study history, commitment to furthering education and your personal qualities.

Read more information about care leaver scholarships

External assistance


CREATE Foundation provide yearly grants to clubCREATE members with a statutory care experience aged 15 - 25 years through the 'CREATE Your Future Grant Scheme'. These grants are for young people who are leaving out-of-home care to help assist them in their transition into independence.

View more information about the grant scheme

Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA)

TILA is a one-off payment from the Australian Government to help young people who are leaving out-of-home care, providing a contribution of up to $1,500 towards the costs involved in moving to independent living.

Visit the TILA website


Below are some useful links to resources that offer support to students from out-of-home-care.

Leaving Care Hotline

Ph: 1300 532 846

  • 10 am - 8 pm weekdays
  • 10 am - 6 pm weekends and public holidays

Alternatively, email inquiries can be sent to

Visit the Leaving Care website

Youth Central

Youth Central is the Victorian Government's website for young people aged 12-25, filled with great information and articles about your rights at work, school, managing your money, getting your drivers license and so on.

Vist the Youth Central website

Child and Family Services Ballarat (CAFS)

CAFS offer a Leaving Care Program, which aims to assess a young person’s needs and develop a strategy and plan with the young person to attain their short and long term goals. A key focus of Leaving Care is assisting the young person to gain independent living skills.

Visit the CAFS website

Beyond 18 Study

Beyond 18: The Longitudinal Study on Leaving Care is a long-term research project about the lives of young people in out-of-home care and their experiences of leaving care in Victoria. It is the first of its kind to be conducted in Victoria.

The first wave of data collection began in June 2015 and the project will run until mid-2018.

Contact us

Contact our Care Leaver Coordinator, Ms. Pearl Goodwin-Burns.

Ph: (03) 5327 9496


Room E114, Building E, SMB Campus