In 1861 lawyer and mining entrepreneur, Sir Henry Cuthbert, built Beaufort House, a two-storey property in Alfredton. Italianate in design and symmetrical in composition, the house features two bay windows with Tuscan pilasters. It was designed by Architect C.D. Cuthbert, who also designed that Ballarat Town Hall and Ballarat Goal.
The property changed hands a number of times following Henry Cuthbert's death in 1907. Lot 90 was purchased by the Department of Education Victoria in August 1950, with Lots 91, 92 and 93 purchased by the Department in January 1952. It was used for accommodating male students of the Ballarat Teachers' College. In July 1991, all four Lots were sold to Ballarat University College, a predecessor institution of Federation University Australia.
Sir Henry Cuthbert was a one time honourary lawyer for the Ballarat School of Mines (SMB). With the merger of SMB and Federation University Australia (previously known as University of Ballarat) in 1998, the links to the first owner of Beaufort House was re-established.
In 2008 Beaufort House offered accommodation for 52 students in single bedrooms with shared facilities. Students reside in one of three areas of residence: the block, units or house.
If you can contribute information or photographs on Beaufort House please email the curator email@example.com
Compiled by Clare Gervasoni, with thanks to the research of Diane Campbell, November 2008.
Beaufort House, 1967. Photography by Geoffrey Biddington (Cat. no. 9151)
Beaufort House, c1995. (Cat. no. 9063)