Frequently asked questions
Enrolments at are taken throughout the year if positions are vacant. Applications to enrol are available on the Apply to enrol web page.
When there is no availability for your child, they will be placed on a waiting list. We are unable to tell you how long the waiting list is as every family requires different times and days. You will be offered a place when the time you require becomes available; this is also determined by a priority of access.
FedUni Children's Centres provide quality care for children from 6 weeks to 5 years old and provide age appropriate rooms, in addition to childcare and kindergarten programs.
Children will only be transitioned to the next room level after consultation with parents and subject to availability of spaces in that room.
Centre tours are available, and can be booked via the online booking form.
If you require additional care, please contact the Centre and if there is a vacancy available you will be able to utilise it. However, you will be charged for this care and we do not swap days. If you wish to cancel this extra care, 24 hours notice must be given otherwise you will be charged for all extra care booked.
FedUni Children's Centres provide morning tea, a two course lunch and afternoon tea. A Sample Menu is available here (pdf, 71.5kb).
The meals at the Centre are carefully planned to ensure that your child has a balanced diet, and the food and drink offered is nutritious and culturally appropriate. Healthy eating habits are promoted. The menu is displayed in advance in the kitchen, so you know what your child will be eating. The only food that we ask you to bring into the centre regularly is a piece of fruit.
We believe that if children can select fresh fruit to bring into the centre this will instil and encourage children to contribute and share within their world. This fruit will then be shared amongst their peers and will also provide the opportunity for children to try something different. As part of our food safety policy, we are that children do not bring any other food into the centre other than fruit.
Please let staff know of any special dietary requirements your child has eg. cultural, religious, medical. Meals are planned to accommodate individual special diets where possible. Our centres aim to provide a NUT FREE Environment (although this cannot be guaranteed) and at no time should nuts come into the building. We also ask that if your child has had peanut butter before coming to the centre that you wash their hands and face.
FedUni Children's Centres are closed for four weeks over the Christmas/New Year period. If your family decided to take holiday's at other times of the year, full childcare fees will still be payable.
- Each child should bring a complete change of clothes (including underwear and socks) in a suitable named bag or backpack. Infants may need more than one change.
- You are welcome to bring a water bottle for your child to drink from during the day, please ensure it is clearly labelled.
- If your child is in nappies, bring him/her into the Centre wearing one of your own nappies. The Centre uses disposable nappies throughout the day. You are welcome to provide a home nappy for him/her to wear home if you'd prefer. Whilst your child is being toilet trained please bring a lot of extra underwear, trousers and socks, etc.
- To help avoid accidents we ask that children wear appropriate shoes or sandals rather than thongs whilst at the Centre.
- Babies' bottles are to be prepared hygienically by the parent and clearly labelled. All bottles are to be cooled and then transported to the centre appropriately (preferably in an insulated container). All bottles must be signed in to state that they were prepared hygienically and transported correctly and then placed in the fridge immediately.
- In cold weather a warm coat is necessary. A pair of slippers would be appreciated for indoor play.
On hot days please remember to send an appropriate sun hat and dress your child in sun protective clothing i.e. not sleeveless. The Centre provides sunscreen for the children although we ask that you please sunscreen your child prior to arrival and inform staff of this. Parents are welcome to view the relevant FedUni Children's Centre Sun smart policy and procedure.
- Special security toys like a dummy, blanket or teddy are most welcome in helping children settle to sleep – these must be clearly labelled. It is difficult to be responsible for any other toys that children bring from home and it is often disappointing if they are broken or lost. It is best for all concerned if they are left at home.
- The Centre will provide smocks for messy play; however please dress your child in appropriate play clothes. Please label all your child's clothing. Any unnamed clothing found at the Centre will be placed in the lost property bin in the foyer.
The fees for 2019 are:
- Full day $118
- Morning $73
- Afternoon $70
(Half days only available for FedUni students)
- Full Day $96
Fees are charged for all days booked including sick days, public holidays, school holidays and any other days due to absence.
A late fee of $50 for the first 10 minutes and $10 for every 5 minutes there after will apply; this is applicable for late collection of your child from a morning session (after 1pm) and an afternoon/full day session (after 6pm) without reasonable cause. This fee will be added to your next account.
Please note: Half day bookings only available to FedUni students.
Many families are entitled to Child Care Subsidy available through the Australian Government to provide assistance to help with the cost of child care.
You will need to provide the centre with your family and children's CRN's. The subsidy will be paid directly to the centre to reduce the fees you pay.
To find out how to apply for the childcare subsidy, please visit https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/child-care-subsidy/how-claim
Further information is available at https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/child-care-subsidy
Three year old kindergarten programs are run primarily by diploma qualified educators, the same qualification held by our three year old room educators.
0-3 years 1:4 Staff/Child
3-5 years 1:11 Staff/Child
All staff have completed relevant training and qualifications as well as many years experience in the field.
The Mt Helen and SMB centres are open between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm Monday to Friday.
The Gippsland centre is open between 7:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday to Friday.
We are open 48 weeks a year and are closed on Public Holidays.
FedUni Children's Centre are guided by the Education and Care Services National Regulations 2011 and Education and Services National Law Act 2010. The centres work within the National Quality Standards (NQF) to ensure continuous quality improvement . We also adhere to the Code of Ethics developed by Early Childhood Australia.
Children need to come along dressed in loose fitting, weather appropriate, comfortable clothing. The children participate in various 'messy' activities therefore 'good' clothes are not recommended. We request that children wear clothing that minimises exposure to the sun. We also require that children wear well fitting shoes i.e. thongs and slip-on shoes (crocs) are not safe for outdoor play.
Only people authorised by you on your child's enrolment form can collect or drop off your child. You must also state on the sign-in sheet daily who will be collecting your child at what time. If there are changes after you leave the centre, please phone to advise staff who will be collecting your child.
Unless we have a copy of a custody order, both parents have a legal right to collect their child from the centre.
If an emergency occurs, we will follow the guidelines and policies as set out by the University, these guidelines are displayed in all rooms at both Centres. If we need to evacuate the building we will go to the safest and nearest exit and assemble at the Emergency Evacuation Point. A head count will be conducted against sign-in books and we will contact parents as soon as possible. Two Emergency Contact details must be provided on every child's enrolment form so that we can contact a relevant person in any emergency.