Frequently asked questions

Why should I live on residence?

Federation University research shows students who live in residences are more likely to be successful in their studies and transition to university life. #SuccessLivesHere

The benefits of staying within Federation University Australia Halls and Residences include:

  • Success |  FedUni research shows students who live with us are more likely to succeed
  • Friendship |  Develop instant networks and lifelong friendships with a sense of community
  • Opportunity |  Amazing opportunities, planned experiences, activities and so much fun
  • Support |  24/7 support so you can enjoy a balanced living and learning community
  • Convenience | For peace of mind and convenience residences are located on, or close to campus

How far are the residences from the University?

Many of Fedliving's student residences are located on campus or nearby. All are located within easy access to bus routes, shops and health services. Both Peter Lalor and Bella Guerin are located at Mt Helen Campus. Elsworth Street and Jemacra Place are both located a short five minute drive from Mt Helen Campus and are accessible to major bus routes. Victoria Street and Camp Street are ideally located for SMB and the Arts Academy campuses. In Gippsland and Berwick all student residences are located on the main campus.

How much does it cost?

Fedliving offers a range of options to suit most budgets. Living in our Halls and Residence can range in price depending on the option you select. Details are available under our Fees and charges web page. Please contact for further details.

When should I apply?

It's a good idea to apply as early as possible. Applications for the following academic year typically open on our Open Day (end of August). So visit us on Open Day. Come and apply right on campus while you're here!

* Please note: Visiting our campuses and student residences can be arranged at any time (with prior notice).

Am I guaranteed a place in Fedliving residences?

First year undergraduate students are guaranteed a place in university-provided accommodation during their first year of study. Please visit the first year guarantee website for full details and eligibility criteria.

Can I select where I would like to live?


As part of the application process we will ask you to state your first, second and third preference for accommodation. We will do our best to meet your request, however a selection criteria applies to all students who seek admission to Federation University Australia and FedUni Living.

How will I find out if I have been offered accommodation?

Accommodation offers are emailed directly to applicants. Be sure to keep an eye on your inbox (as well as your junk mail!). This email will outline:

  1. The offer the University is making to you including which residence
  2. How to accept your offer

* Please note: This email will contain important information, so make sure you file it somewhere safe.

How do I accept my accommodation offer?

You will need to accept your offer online through the Campus Life Portal using the username and password from your application. Make sure you accept your offer by the date outlined in your offer email.

What is Campus Life Cash?

Campus Life Cash allows FedUni Living Ballarat residents to use their swipey (Campus Life Rewards bar-code) to store credit and purchase food and retail items on-campus at the Hub, Ruby’s and FedUni Store. Find out more.

Can I check-in early?

Early arrival accommodation is available to students who have accepted an accommodation offer for our residences and who may be arriving outside the residency contract dates. You will need to complete the early arrival accommodation request when accepting your accommodation offer.

Is there a transition program?

FedUni Living offers all first year residents the opportunity to participate in the Compass Orientation Program which is specifically designed to set you up for a terrific year living with us at FedUni.

Who will be there to support me in my new home?

All FedUni Living residences are supported by our Residential Support Team (RST). Typically Residential Advisers (RAs) are assigned to a group of new students living on site, who are there to assist with your transition to university life.

RAs are students like you, who contribute to creation of a balanced living and learning community required so that you have the best chance of success whilst at University.

If I live in a catered hall of residence, how many meals does it include?

Peter Lalor students area able to access a two-course evening meal Monday through to Thursday. Flexible meal arrangements are available for all other Ballarat residents.

All Gippsland residences are self-catered, with the campus cafeteria or local shopping centres and food shops providing a variety of options.

What do I need to bring

Please refer to the following document for a list of what is provided, and what residents often bring (pdf, 74kb).

Is there a laundry?

All halls have laundry facilities with washing machines and dryers. Students need to provide their own detergent and baskets.

Is there car parking available at the halls of residence?

Mt Helen (Peter Lalor and Bella Guerin) and Camp Street residents, please note, parking permits are required to park in the zone 4 residential car parks. Follow the links to the Campus Life Portal to purchase your parking permit. Following payment, permits are available for collection from the FedUni Living office.

Whilst the Federation University Australia will take care to assist with the safety of vehicles and their contents, no responsibility will be borne by the University should theft or damage occur. If there is an incident such as a theft or an accident, please forward details to the FedUni Living team as well as appropriate authorities.

What is a quiet unit?

Quiet units are just that, quiet. Residents have asked for these as they are focussed on their studies and would like to live alcohol-free. Quiet time is from 9pm through to 9am and alcohol is not allowed within the unit at any time. Quiet units are available on request - please contact FedUni Living for further information.

What is the smoke-free policy?

The University recognises the adverse effects of smoking, including passive smoking, and the rights of staff and students to work and study in a safe and healthy environment which is smoke-free.

In line with all Victorian universities Federation University Australia became smoke-free from 1 January 2015.

The University has implemented a smoke-free environment policy, which will phase in the smoke-free process.