Position classification standards
Minimum standards for academic levels describe the broad categories of responsibilities attached to academic staff at different levels. The standards are not exhaustive of all tasks in academic employment, which is by its nature multi-skilled and involves an overlap of duties between levels.
The standards provide an adequate basis to differentiate between the various levels of employment and define the broad relationships between classifications. The position classifications may require flexibility in implementation, bearing in mind variations in organisational structures and terminologies.
All levels of academic staff can expect to make a contribution to a diversity of functions within the University. Such functions include teaching, research, participation in professional activities and participation in academic planning and governance. The balance of functions will vary according to level and position over time.
- Minimum Standards for Academic Levels (MSAL) Teaching and Research Academics (pdf, 18kb)
- Minimum Standards for Academic Levels (MSAL) Research Only Academics (pdf, 17kb)
- HEW Position Classification Questionnaire (docx, 104kb)
- HEW Position Classification Questionnaire - Example (pdf, 190kb)
- Proposal for Linked Classification Form (docx, 92kb)
- Position Description Template [use for Reclassifications and Linked Classifications only] (docx, 268kb)
- HEW Position Classifications - UCA 2015-2018 (pdf, 181kb)