Purchase of additional leave (48/52)
Academic and general staff
To support staff with family or other commitments there are options available for full-time staff to adopt a 48 week year for a negotiated 12 month period. The salary paid to them will be 48/52 of their full-time salary.
Within the nominated 12 month period staff are able to apply to have four weeks additional annual leave, with a proportionate reduction in salary spread over the full year. All eight weeks leave must be taken during the 12 month period for which approval has been given.
In specific circumstances an employee and the University may agree to a more flexible employment cycle arrangement, provided it does not extend beyond a 46/52 week employment cycle for a 12 month period. A 46/52 week arrangement would allow a staff member to have six weeks additional leave.
During the period of a 48/52 week scheme annual, sick and long service leave will continue to accrue at the normal full-time rate.
Employees can choose whether or not they wish to have their employee contributions to UniSuper reduced to the applicable rate or have the employee and employer superannuation contributions maintained at the full-time rate by paying that amount themselves. The University will advise the employee of the superannuation implications prior to them entering a 48/52.
TAFE teaching staff
No 48/52 are entitlements available for TAFE teaching staff.
How to apply for 48/52 (Academic and General/Professional staff only)
- Fully understand your 48/52-week employment cycle entitlements and options.
- See link below and/or discuss your situation and plans confidentially with Human Resources (Richelle Brehaut, Coordinator, HR ext. 9367 or email@example.com).
- Discuss superannuation details with Glenn Bench, Manager, HR Shared Services, ext. 9517.
- Negotiate arrangements with your supervisor.
- Submit a written request to your supervisor, detailing your leave schedule for the 12 month period. The relevant Executive Dean/Director or PVC must then endorse this request, making sure that working arrangements for the area are adequately covered, and forward the request to Human Resources. Human Resources will then write to you, confirming details.
- To extend your current 48/52 arrangements you must re-negotiate with your supervisor annually.
Enterprise Agreement - extracts
Link to detailed information on entitlements and conditions relevant to a 48/52-Week Year:
Purchased leave - Academic and General staff
Federation University Australia Union Collective Agreement (UCA) 2015-2018,
Academic and General Staff Employees
Link to: Clause 31 (pdf, 11kb)
Please note the 'provisions/entitlements' above do not apply to casual or sessional staff members.