You experienced sexual assault

In most situations, what happens after an incident of sexual assault is your choice.

You have a sense of the level of danger/distress that you feel and this often determines whether and how you seek support or take action. You can choose to report it to the University (if the incident is connected to the University in any way), take action yourself, or to do nothing for the moment.

Your safety and well-being are of critical importance. The following recommendations are in place if you wish to seek support or take action:

Get support

The most important thing is to talk with someone and be supported in whatever your next steps are to be.

Here are some options available to you if you have been sexually assaulted:

  • The FedUni Counselling service offers free and confidential counselling to both on- and off-campus students. Counsellors can support you with the immediate impact of the sexual assault.
  • 1800Respect offers free, 24-hour, 7-day per week, counselling to those experiencing sexual assault or domestic and family violence, or those supporting someone who is.
  • Centre Against Sexual Assault (CASA) offers free and confidential specialist counselling, advocacy and support for victim/survivors of sexual assault and non-offending family members and friends.
  • Sexual Assault Crisis Line Victoria (SACL) (1800 806 292) is a state-wide, after-hours, confidential, telephone crisis counselling service for people who have experienced both past and recent sexual assault.

See a doctor

In cases involving sexual assault, it is highly recommended that you see a doctor as soon as possible to make sure any medical issues, such as sexually transmitted infections, unwanted pregnancy or injuries are addressed.

Pregnancy – emergency contraception can be extremely effective if it is given within 48 hours of unprotected sex. It may be given up to 120 hours after unprotected sex.

You can request a forensic medical examination - which  may be conducted up to 5 days after a sexual assault.

The doctor will be able to provide better care if they know about the assault, but you can choose how much detail you want to tell.

The FedUni Health Centre can facilitate access to medical and counselling care. Students studying at a partner location please see your doctor or a doctor suggested by Support Staff at your teaching location.

Report an incident

You may decide that you want to report the sexual assault to the police and/or the University. This is an individual decision which only YOU can make.

Report to the police

It can be difficult to report your experience to the police. Making the decision to report sexual assault is an important personal choice. In reaching that decision, you may wish to seek advice and guidance from others. You can withdraw from the process at any time.

If the sexual assault is in any way connected to the University, we can provide support in dealing with the police.

View information about reporting sexual assault to police on Police Victoria website. Students studying interstate will need to refer to the Police Sexual Assault page on the police website for your state.

Report to the University

We have no tolerance for sexual violence or sexual assault. If the incident that you have experienced is in any way connected to the University, you are encouraged to make a report. Examples of how an incident can be connected to the University include, but not limited to a sexual assault:

  • perpetrated by a FedUni student (on or off campus)
  • perpetrated by a FedUni staff member (on or off campus)
  • occurring on a FedUni campus or property
  • occurring at a FedUni excursion, event or activity (on or off campus)

You are strongly encouraged to report any incidents of sexual assault connected to the University to Equity and Equal Opportunity (students and staff). Students studying at a partner at location can report to Support Staff at their teching location. The staff can assist you by providing:

  • A confidential point of contact to facilitate access to support services
  • Assist with police reporting
  • Understand University incident reporting and complaint processes
  • Make a record of incidents (formal and informal)
  • Explain what happens next, and
  • Facilitate personal safety plans and contact with University security.

What happens next

This depends on the unique circumstances of the incident and the actions that you have taken and want to take. We are committed to ensuring that you are supported and communicated with appropriately, that action is taken (in line with your wishes), and that your safety is critical.