What is appropriate flexibility?
Treating everyone the same does not necessarily result in equal treatment.
Often students and staff with disabilities require adjustments and flexibility so that barriers to their participation are removed eg documents in alternative print, assistive technology, interpreters, note-takers, additional time, changed teaching methods, or changed work practices.
Students and staff with responsibilities as carers may need flexibility, such as in selection of tutorial or meeting times to suit childcare, flexible work arrangements to accommodate family crises, or bringing a child to the University when arrangements break down.
Students and staff may need flexibility to accommodate religious or cultural obligations, such as alternatives to a Saturday field trip/meeting day, or extensions because of time away for an important ceremony.
It is hard to say what is reasonable or appropriate in every case. But FedUni aims to, and is often obliged by law to, do its best to make sure students and staff do not have unfair barriers through an unfair lack of flexibility.
Help is available to explore how to provide flexibility in the study and work environment, what might be possible, and what is reasonable. Here are some good starting points.
- Find out about the services offered for students and staff with disabilities.
- Find out about policies on bringing children to FedUni.
- Read our fact sheet on Discrimination and harassment - Your rights and responsibilities at FedUni (PDF, 783kb)
or Discrimination and harassment - Your rights and responsibilities at FedUni (Word, 26kb). Edited for screen reader accessibility.
- Staff who wish to explore how to provide flexibility in learning and teaching practices can contact CLIPP.
- Staff who wish to explore flexibility in work practices, and what is reasonable, can contact the Director, Human Resources on 5327 9718 or email email@example.com
- To explore flexibility in the study & work environment for a range of circumstances and needs, contact Equity & Equal Opportunity on 5327 9357 / 5327 8104 or firstname.lastname@example.org